Saturday, May 13, 2023

Birds 'n Things Around Rondeau

Things really kicked in with migrants this week.  I spent four nights camping at Rondeau Park starting on Monday.  However, birding was quite slow to start, but I wandered around the park in various locations that day.

A casual walk down south point trail in the afternoon west revealed the odd birds.

Blackburnian Warbler

A Blandings Turtle made an appearance in one of the sloughs.


In mid-afternoon I was bored!  Not expecting much at Keith McLean C. L., I took a look anyway.  I stumbled upon a Black-necked Stilt to liven things up!

I suppose it is not entirely surprising one showed up, since they seem to be more an more regular each year.

Weather was nice, so I walked out marsh trail that evening.  It too was slow with birds, but a Clay-colored Sparrow was a nice find.

Tuesday was a little better, and if fact, each day this week was successively better for birds.  South point trail east has not been producing much, but after checking that out, I heard the local celebrity calling near the VC.

Since late April, a Northern Bobwhite has been working the east side.  I stopped to look around and found it calling atop the rail at the boardwalk near the VC. Obviously a released/escaped creature.


In the afternoon, "Bob" was at dog beach calling.


It was nice to hear and see since there are probably no legitimate wild birds left in Ontario.  Walpole Island was the last holdout, but I would suspect they are no longer there.  The last one I heard on Walpole was around 2005, but across the Snye when I was working at the marina.

In early evening, I took a leisurely stroll and came across some Goldenseal.   I knew its approximate location as I had seen it years ago, but it was nice to see a patch of it.



It is a threatened plant in Ontario.

Wednesday was somewhat uneventful, but added some more first-of-year birds.

This Pileated was showing well at one point.


More Goldenseal.


Thursday May 11 was a really good day especially for warblers.  Harrison trail/Bennett area was hopping with passerines!  I added quite a few first-of-year birds.

Cape May Warbler

In the afternoon, I went over to Blenheim lagoons to add some shorebirds to the week's list.  The previously-reported Wilson's Phalarope was not present, but lots of other stuff.  Both dowitcher types were present to brush up on one's ID skills between the two.  I was too lazy to carry a camera though!

In the evening, Steve and I walked out marsh trail since it was such a nice day.  It was a bit quiet, and strangely, we did not get any rails (must have taken the day off!).  Four Least Bitterns and four American Bitterns, as well as six Great Egrets were good for the list.

Oddly, despite the good fallout of warblers in the park that day, there were none out marsh trail.

Friday morning was looking good for a "morning flight" watch at the park store.  In recent years, we have taken advantage of this to observe birds exiting the park.  It is quite interesting and sometimes amazing to see what is actually migrating out.  Hundreds of birds are usually noted.

There were oodles of warblers, including high numbers of Cape May, Blackburnian, and Northern Parula.

A Black Tern was a good sight, and many Bobolinks were on the move.

However, one has to be quick on ID since they move at rapid pace.  Learning chip notes helps, but many go undetermined!

Once again, Harrison and Bennett were good for observing warblers at low altitude.  We saw our first Blackpoll and Canada of the season for example.

Bay-breasted Warbler

The odd Clay-colored Sparrow has been popping up here and there.


Before this week began, I did visit Rondeau on Sunday and managed to catch up with an Evening Grosbeak.  It was a gloomy day, so photo leaves a bit to be desired.




It is not often we see them in the spring, but those that head south in the fall must come back!

Today, Saturday, I stayed around home.  I managed to come across a Golden-winged Warbler at Port Lambton's Brander Park.  It was nice to see and hear this declining species.

Looks like things continued to pick up at Rondeau today, as Summer Tanagers and others have been seen!  (Just my luck).  I will be back at the park on Monday after recharging here at home over the weekend.



No comments:

Post a Comment