Thursday, May 18, 2023

Rondeau Run, Godwit Run, and a Shrike Run

 This past Sunday and Monday were a bit slow for birding, but Tuesday and onward was quite good. Not like the "old days" it seems, but fun and interesting.

On Sunday I ventured down to Hillman Marsh and area for something different.  Sometimes it pays off, and sometimes not!  I did not see anything of note.  

A Kentucky Warbler was at Kopegaren Woods west of Wheatley, but remained hidden when I checked out the place.  Of course it was seen before and after I was there!

Monday I headed back to Rondeau for a couple more nights of camping.  It was dead slow for birding that first day.  It was warm, and some butterflies were out, including this Eastern Tailed-Blue.



I walked out south beach in the afternoon for lack of anything else to do.  Not too many shorebirds or gulls to look at either.

On the beach I looked for mussels.  Some of the common ones included Eastern Pondmussel, which is long and narrow.



Tuesday looked promising and indeed there was a good fallout of birds.  Lots of warblers and vireos.  Some of which were included as FOY's as we call them.

I saw my first Black-billed Cuckoo of the year on the south point.


South point trail produced a good number of birds for a change.  It had been unproductive previously.

Wednesday was good as well, but there was a stiff northerly wind that kept birds in the park, more to the east side. I mainly birded Tulip Tree trail and then Harrison north and south of there for several hours.  There was no shortage of birds!  More "FOY's" were added, including a Prothonotary Warbler (finally).  They finally came in numbers.

Cape May, Northern Parula and Magnolia Warblers were in big numbers.

"Maggie"

Blackburnian Warbler

American Redstart

Philadelphia Vireo


Also found a "latish" Yellow-bellied Sapsucker.  Not a pretty one either!


I headed out by noon and visited the Erieau rail trail, then Blenheim lagoons.  Shorebirds in each location.

Black-bellied Plovers




On the way home, I received word that a Marbled Godwit was at Mitchell's Bay.  I was north of Blenheim, so just kept going and headed there. 

It was difficult to find, as viewed from the south shore trail.  This big shorebird is always nice to see.


Apparently I got there in time, as it flew north  soon after I left.  It was later found at Bass Haven.

Also when en route northward, I received word of a Loggerhead Shrike on Bisnett Line.  That was a lost cause for me since I was already heading home plus the detour to the Marbled Godwit.

This morning I was checking out Port Lambton when I heard that the shrike was still present.  So yes, you guessed it, I headed down south of Blenheim to see it.  Luckily, it was perched on a wire when I arrived!



It was one I had to see, since I had never seen one in Chatham-Kent.  It is a very rare bird anymore in Ontario, but once in a while one will appear out of place.  But, there are breeding areas near Kingston, west of Orillia on the Carden Alvar, and perhaps on the Bruce Peninsula.

Most birds are banded ones that return to those breeding areas in Ontario, but this one was unbanded.

A few years ago, one showed up in Lambton which I managed to see.  It too was unbanded.  Lucky I went right away, as it was a one-day wonder.

Years ago, they used to nest in Middlesex on county road 6 in the early to mid 1990's.  I recall going to see those two or three times.  One time I saw the parent feeding fledged young!

This C-K bird was obviously passing through and stopped here.  Not any breeding habitat at that location, so no danger of disturbing that.

Birding was still good at Rondeau today, as I am told, but I stayed local (except for the shrike run).  I took a nice walk at Reid CA this afternoon.  Once again, I heard the raven(s), so I think they are nesting in the area.  Not a surprise as they do farther north in Lambton now.

Weather is up and down, as it was cold yesterday, frost overnight, and warm this afternoon.  Cool again tomorrow and the weekend!  May is not over....


No comments:

Post a Comment