Saturday, May 6, 2023

And So It Begins...Finally

 We finally received more acceptable weather starting yesterday, May 5.  It was obvious that an influx of migrants would appear, and we were not disappointed.  Many overdue species were added to our annual lists.

Back on Thursday May 4, it was still cool, but better than it had been.  I checked out Rondeau Park, Erieau Marsh trail, McGeachy Pond trail and Blenheim lagoons (2X!).

Blanding's Turtle at Erieau

A decent flock of Long-billed Dowitchers had been frequenting the lagoons, but they were hit and miss.  They would disappear to parts unknown for a while, then return.  I missed them earlier in the day, as well as later in the day!  However, on my second visit, I did manage to see three of them.


Friday was more normal in a sense for this time of year.  Many warblers, sparrows, orioles, etc. had dropped in.  I checked out south point east at first light, then moved up to the start of marsh trail to observe the "morning flight".  A good number of warblers and other birds were exiting the park as they typically do with an easterly component to the wind.  It is actually a fun experience to observe this, but you have to be quick on ID!

Yellow-rumped Warbler


Palm Warbler

Black-throated Blue Warbler

I missed an Evening Grosbeak that stopped by at the VC feeder, and perhaps the same individual later in Bate's subdivision.  I decided to leave the park just after 1:00 when the grosbeak was seen again!  Hopefully another will make an appearance for me!


Later in the morning, a pair of Willets was resting on the east beach.



Today, I decided to stay local.  Just as well since probably nothing new awaited me at Rondeau. It is nice to check out things around home at this time of year.

Baltimore Oriole at my feeder

First thing, I stopped by Brander Park, Port Lambton.  A few things came in, but not as much as I had expected.  A Great-crested Flycatcher was a FOY there.

It was such a nice day, I went up to Reid CA.  I spent the better part of three hours there!  A good number of birds had dropped in.  I ended up with nine species of warblers, and some were in multiples.

Black-throated Blue Warbler


Blackburnian Warbler

Blue-headed Vireo

Most things were in the "Lilly Bush", so I spent almost two hours there.  While chasing the warblers, I heard some croaks to the north.  I thought it had to be  Raven, and soon I saw it being chased by four American Crows.  It never came close.

Ravens are rather regular in Lambton anymore, especially in the north part, and are not considered "rare" on eBird.

The most notable warbler was a Bay-breasted.  They typically show up a bit later in migration, so this one was exceptional.  Probably the earliest one I have seen, and perhaps the earliest for Lambton.  I was unable to get a photo, unfortunately.

Peers Wetland had a few things as well, including an Ovenbird and a couple of Black-and-white Warblers.


A Solitary Sandpiper was new for the year there, but eluded the camera.

This creature was lurking around:

Peers Prowler


No comments:

Post a Comment