Sunday, August 26, 2018

Weekend Wanderings August 25-26, 2018

As this wacky weather continues, I headed down to Essex County Saturday morning.  I decided to try for the Purple Gallinule at J. R. Park Homestead.  It was a week since it was first discovered and many serious Ontario birders had already gone to see the provincial rarity.  I am never in a hurry to see a rarity unless it is local!
There are not many records for Ontario (around 20), so it is currently the next best bird behind the Reddish Egret.
I arrived about 07:45 and a local birder was already watching for it.  She had seen it a couple of times before, so that was helpful in pin-pointing where the bird might show.
Shortly after, Rob Palin arrived and we stood vigil.
About 09:00, the subject bird finally made an appearance in the thick phragmites. It did not come right out in the open, but good enough to see.



It is the first one I have seen in Ontario, but a few years ago I may have had a glimpse of a juvenile type at Stewart Wetland.  I could not see the bird well at the time, so I had to let it go.



I then headed to Point Pelee Tip as there was a stiff SW wind blowing.  Activity was good at the Tip, but nothing of note showed.


I miss those good days of Tip Watches with Alan Wormington and other friends!

Perhaps my late arrival and the annoyance of  arriving tourists did not help.

Osprey at Tip

I left after an hour as incoming rain (afterall it was the weekend) was imminent.

I sat at Wheatley Harbour for an hour. There were well over 1000 gulls there, but nothing of note.




On the way home, I stopped by Mitchell's Bay south shore trail.  The sun was out by then and quite a few vireos and flycatchers were present.

Olive-sided Flycatcher


Warbling Vireo

Question Mark


Today, I headed down to Rondeau. There was a good number of migrants and lots of flycatchers and vireos again.  Several species of warblers were present.
Jim Burk and I checked things out on south point and near maintenance in the uncomfortable muggy atmosphere.

Green Heron of south point


Along the way, we stopped to see the White-winged Doves.  It was the first time I have seen both of them.  They were quietly sitting on a hydro wire.  It looks like the nesting idea and the production of offspring is a lost cause for this year.


Today's checklist:  https://ebird.org/view/checklist?subID=S48082702

On the way out, I stopped at McLean CA.  This is now a popular place!  And a good birding spot. I met a nice Australian couple (Hedley and Irena Earl) who have been going around to all the hotspots and rarities.
The Snowy Egret was out at Rondeau Bay Estates at the time, but some shorebirds were still present, including the long-staying Red Knot.  It is always a treat to see a knot as they have become quite scarce in recent years.  We used to see them regularly out south beach during spring migration.
It finally came in closer today for good views, but my camera was still not the best for it.

Knot and Pec

Common Gallinules, uncommon in Chatham-Kent, have nested here.  Perhaps one day its purple cousin will make an visit.



A check of Blenheim Lagoons revealed nothing of note (where are the Red-necked Phalaropes this year?).  I did not even see the Wilson's Phalaropes today.

Some Common Checkered-Skippers were around the sprinklers.


On to another week as the summer wanes....

No comments:

Post a Comment