Saturday, September 1, 2018

Birds, Butterflies, Moths This Past Week

This past week I have been getting out as much as possible.  I am not one to sit around!  Some late summer butterflies have been showing up such as Common Checkered-Skippers.  There have been several at Peers Wetland near home.



Today I stopped by Port Franks and walked the trail at Karner Blue Sanctuary.  My target was Leonard's Skipper, which is regular there.  One has to look for the Rough Blazing Star of which there is not much this year.  I managed to find a couple today.




I have been paying attention to moths lately as well.  The individuals I have been seeing are common, but there are many interesting ones out there.

Arcigera Flower Moth at Forest

Green Cloverworm Moth at Mitchell's Bay

Watson's Grass-Veneer, Bruce Peninsula
(according to iNaturalist)


One day I hope to see a Black Witch!  A few have been reported at Point Pelee in past years.  I recall Alan Wormington sending a photo of one a number of years ago.

Birds have been moving through in good numbers.  A welcome cold front this week brought in some birds including many vireos, warblers and flycatchers.

Yellow-bellied Flycatcher at Mitchell's Bay


Olive-sided Flycatcher at Peers on Friday
There are some dragonflies to watch for.

Royal River Cruiser at Reid on Friday


Today, the timing was right to go and see the Reddish Egret up at Oliphant.  Some of us laggards put these things off, but sometimes it works out!  There were several well-known birders that did not see the subject bird until today.
I left Wallaceburg at 05:15 and was in Oliphant by about 08:45.  I was not sure where to find the bird, but I just drove along the shoreline road north of the marina.  I kept going until it was a dead end, but I saw a young birder (Erik) looking through his scope.  I asked if he had seen the egret, and sure enough that was what he was looking at!




It was quite distant, but it moved around quickly in classic fashion.  Eventually, it flew south right by us and landed  within sight.




As you know, it is the first record for Ontario, and I think overdue.
It was apparently there about August 5 before birders knew about it!  As mentioned in a previous blog post, I was up that way August 15.  If only I had known.....

While there, I walked the boardwalk through the fen.  It is a nice spot that I had known about but never actually checked it out!  There are some cool plants to look for during the summer.

Sticky False Apshodel

Fringed Gentian


ladies tresses sp.


On the way home, I stopped by Port Franks (as mentioned) and also Forest Sewage Lagoons.  There was nothing special at the lagoons, but duck numbers are building up.
A few shorebirds were there, but water is higher than it has been.
Some warblers were in the trees, including several scruffy Yellow-rumped.


2 comments:

  1. Very nice! Glad the egret showed itself for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for commenting! I was glad to find it right away.I was not sure I would get up there for it.

    ReplyDelete