Friday, August 24, 2018

Some Recent Outings

Last Saturday I went down to Point Pelee.  Although the wind was all wrong, there was quite a bit of activity at the Tip.  Lots of gulls were around.

Baby Bonie


Some shorebirds were present along the shoreline.




I walked up west beach trail, but butterflies were once again scarce.  Likely things will get better in September when the asters come out.  Those big days a few years ago seem to be a thing of the past.

Dun Skipper
Dragonflies were few and far between.  Wandering Gliders seem to be plentiful lately (I even had them up in Bruce County last week).



Some birds were along the trail including Mourning Warbler, Canada Warbler, Blackburnian Warbler.

I did walk De Laurier and there were a few migrant birds including a few warblers.

Yellow-rumped Warbler


I stopped by Hillman to walk around the shorebird cell.  Unfortunately, probably the day before, they did some excessive cutting.  There was hardly a butterfly to be seen.  At the end, I did come across a Fiery Skipper, the second in less than 24h.


I also saw my FOY Common Buckeye...finally.



Sunday was not too productive, but I did go to Keith McLean CA just outside Rondeau.  It is a very productive place for birds and I thought at the time something of note will show up soon.  Perhaps a heron type?  Or shorebird?



This past week was very quiet around Wallaceburg, so last evening I went down to Keith McLean CA.  Once again there was quite a bit to see.  Some Great Egrets were present and I was strongly hoping to see a Snowy Egret or Little Blue Heron come upon the scene.
Shorebirds included a Red Knot (been there a while, but elusive), a couple of Baird's Sandpipers, Stilt Sandpipers, Short-billed Dowitchers, etc.  A scope is mandatory though.

Baird's Sandpiper


There is a little alcove in the wetland not seen unless you walk a little farther.  I kept seeing shorebirds come and go from there (that is where the knot landed at one point).

Just as I was starting to leave, all the shorebirds got up and headed far to the north.

Short-billed Dowitchers


Today, I planned to leave work early and head somewhere.  However, I was not expecting to go back to Keith McLean CA!  This morning Steve Charbonneau reported a Snowy Egret there wouldn't you know it.
After lunch, I headed straight to the CA.  Upon arrival, the Snowy Egret was visible in the distance.
I did not have a good camera on hand, so I tried digiscoping.



I ended up staying almost 2.5h, and a couple of people came along.  Included was Allen Woodliffe.
The Snowy Egret eventually flew and landed a little closer for us, to join a Great Egret.



There were not as many shorebirds as the previous day, but the Red Knot was hidden in that alcove.  Allen walked further to see it in the alcove.

There is always a lot of activity at Keith McLean CA.  The wetlands attract rails, bitterns, and other marsh birds.

Secretive Marsh Wren


It is also in a very strategic location where birds move along the lakeshore.  Birds are always flying overhead or coming or going.
This place will indeed be checked more regularly from now on!

Yellow-billed Cuckoo (beside the viewing stand)
Of course news of the week (and year) was the Reddish Egret up at Oliphant in Bruce County.  Apparently it has been present since at least August 5!  I was right by there last Wednesday!  #@$%!


A Katydid showed up outside my back window this past week.....


No comments:

Post a Comment