Friday, August 17, 2018

The Beckoning Bruce

I took a couple of days off this week on the spur of the moment just to get away.  I headed up to Bruce County, one of my favourite destinations.  I have been to the Bruce Peninsula countless times at different times of the year.
I left early Tuesday morning and went straight to MacGregor Point Provincial Park.  This park has always been one of my favourite camping spots.

Chantry Island


Upon arrival, I walked some trails.  Birds were not plentiful, as were butterflies, but you have to take what you get.

Northern Broken-Dash


I was on the lookout for anything that was alive.

Tule Bluet

Variable (Violet) Dancer
Ruby Meadowhawk
Emerald (or Spotted?) Spreadwing



I always set up the tent in the Huron campground.  There is a spot on the shoreline that is nice to see the sun set.




Wednesday morning I rose early to head northward.  I always drive back road in the Ferndale flats area and along The Bury Road.  There are many pastures where grassland birds reside.  I did not see a lot, but there were different sparrows, bobolinks, meadowlarks and even Brewer's Blackbirds which are regular in the area.

My first stop was Dorcas Bay, Singing Sands.  The place has changed drastically over the years with more environmentally friendly improvements.  Unfortunately one has to pay to park now (once you decipher how to use the ticket machine!).
The old parking lot is gone, and a new raised boardwalk zig zags through the area.  The old boardwalk on the fen is gone.
I walked through the woods on the trail, finding many birds, some of which were migrants.



At one point I found a large black and white feather on the ground which I thought perhaps was from a Pileated Woodpecker.  Within a few seconds, one appeared!



This spot is one of my favourite destinations and I have seen many good things here including Massasauga Rattlesnake, Great Gray Owl (hi Steve!) and butterflies.

One can walk back along the shoreline.  Water levels are very high this year, so much habitat it gone.


There are always things to watchout for along the beach.



At one point I found a fritillary, which was a very nice Silver-bordered.  I have probably only seen one before.




Unfortunately the clouds rolled in and it even rained for a bit, stifling my activities.  I stood under a tree until it passed.
There are some plants to look at along the way as well.

False Slender Foxglove

Evening Primrose (?)

Ladies Tresses sp.

Horned Bladderwort



Next stop was Tobermory for lunch.  Once again the tourist is now hit with another cash grab, as one cannot park anywhere without paying!  At least that ticket machine was more user-friendly.

The sun had come back out by this time, luckily.

I checked out the Dawn Light, but I could not find the owner whom I visited with last year.  This tug is one of the oldest hulls on the lakes and has a Wallaceburg connection.



On the way back south, I stopped by Lindsay Tract Trails for a short walk.

Another must stop was Petrel Point Nature Reserve.  I have always stopped here since the early 1990's--a property owned by Ontario Nature.  There is some new boardwalk this year and a new parking spot and entrance sign.




Here we have a fen with a wide variety of plants and orchids, some of which are uncommon.  I have yet to figure out the names of some of them.

Asphodel sp.

Horned Bladderwort
Ladies Tresses sp.

It was not the best time of year.  I recall meeting naturalist Joe Johnston here once who pointed out many of the plants.

At one point I came across a faded butterfly which I recognized a Dorcas Copper.  It was one I was not expecting see at this date.



Some dragonflies were here as well.  A Racket-tailed Emerald was still flying which never settled down.  A Band-winged Meadowhawk briefly posed, as did a female Twelve-spotted Skimmer.




Some migrant birds were here as well.




Back at MacGregor Point, I walked around a bit, but it was another hot day with little activity.
Some warblers were moving through at the campsite, including Cape Mays.

I got a nice close look at a Solitary Sandpiper near the visitor centre.



Before sunset I went to the Tower Trail to see what was around.  There was little activity, as the wetland was almost dried up.  We are getting way too much rain here in Wallaceburg, so we should send some up that way!

Eastern Phoebe youngsters

At dawn Thursday morning, a Great Horned Owl was hooting away and eventually attracted the attention of crows.

I headed out early, and down at Goderich, walked the trail across from the old railway bridge.

Algoma Buffalo at the salt plant

I also stopped by Port Franks, but by this time the rain was rolling in cutting my day short.  On the way home I thought it was the weekend with pouring rain!

Rough Blazing Star


In any case, it was a short, but nice getaway.

1 comment:

  1. I love the photo that you took of the woodpecker. I love seeing wildlife photos like these. Thanks for the share, hope you have a fantastic weekend. Keep up the posts.


    World of Animals

    ReplyDelete