Sunday, February 12, 2012

Woodpeckers and Others Today

Very windy today, but I did get down to Rondeau.  Along Kent Bridge road north of the park, I saw a Northern Flicker fly across the road.  That was the first woodpecker of the day.
I started in the campground to find the usual wintering birds.  But, I did add some.  I managed to drum up 5 or 6 Yellow-rumped Warblers.  Up until now, I had only found two all winter.
Yellow-rumped Warbler 
(non-responsive to pishing)

Several Purple Finches were there too.
One of many Purple Finches today

The north end was quiet near the cottage feeders, but I did see one of the White-throated Sparrows.
While in the campground, at least one White-winged Crossbill flew over.  Later, while driving by the north end, a Common Redpoll flew over.  So, they are still around.

I went down to the VC to check the feeders.  At first nothing was around, then I decided to take off, but just as I was pulling away, a Pileated Woodpecker caught my eye on Tulip Tree Trail.
Ivory-billed Pileated Woodpecker

I decided to walk down Harrison a bit, but nothing showed.  Back at the parking lot, I could see that birds had come in to the feeder, so I watched for a while.  Lots of Tree Sparrows as well as a couple of Tufted Titmouse.
Two Trees


I left the park and headed over to Erieau.  Since the Bay had almost completely frozen over, all waterfowl and waterbirds were at Erieau.  It was nice to see so many birds in a small area.  The coots were back of course, and lots of other things like Canvasback.  Canvasback are absent from the St. Clair R. this winter, so it was the most I had seen all winter.
The coots were in close today







Also present were a few Ring-necked Ducks plus other divers.  Two female American Wigeon were present, and up to 50 Black Ducks.













After lunch in Blenheim, I decided to check Stefina Line.  Not much there in the field except a couple of Northern Harriers.  I checked the ditch that never freezes for Snipe, but no luck.  Almost every winter a Snipe is found here.  They may winter in Marathon, but not here!
But wait! I spotted a small bird feeding on something in the drain.  An American Pipit!  A bit of a surprise...




Still full of vigour, I went back into Rondeau park.  In the campground I managed to find a Yellow-bellied Sapsucker!  There was at least one earlier in the winter, but had remained elusive until now.

So, with Downy and Hairy and Red-bellied Woodpeckers, I had seen six woodpecker species today.  I thought of Lewis's, but......

I then drove east of the park and up Scane Road.  While looking at Horned Larks (many), I spotted a larger bird.  An Eastern Meadowlark!  It was not co-operative for the camera though.

I checked Ridgetown Lagoons, but they were frozen over with a few Tundra Swans standing on the ice.
There was no way I was going to Blenheim Lagoons today with this wind!

1 comment:

  1. Blake, nice woodpecker 6-pack! The Pipit and Meadowlark are winners too. I still haven't seen a Pipit!

    ReplyDelete