Monday, February 13, 2012

Some Stuff

Has anyone seen the Shetland Mountain Bluebird lately?  I assume it is still present.  There has been some controversy over gender.  I alluded to some question of it a while back.  Ever since I saw it and viewed some photos, it has bothered me.
Initially it was reported as a female, but the amount of blue on it for one thing, has caught the eye of several people.  It is certainly not the typical adult female Mountain Bluebird.  In fact, searching the internet I have not found a female that exactly matches the Shetland bird.
I have several books here, and my searches on the internet have not given me a solid conclusion.  I just do not know enough about them.  If it is a male, it would have to be an immature male.
Several people have commented on this bird with regards to whether it is a female or not.  I just received an email from someone today that was also wondering about the bird.  While viewing the bird, he (shall remain nameless at this point), met up with someone from some distance who instantly said this was a male.  (I do not know who it was though).  Perhaps this person is knowledgeable about Mountain Bluebirds.
If anyone has comments, please post here!
I will display Allen Woodliffe's photo here again, so I hope he does not mind!                                        

Some more scenes from yesterday....




More Coots!






Northern Harrier









Lesser Scaup








No comments:

Post a Comment