Friday, February 9, 2024

Pinery Things To Rondeau Things

 A couple of days ago I headed up to Pinery Provincial Park.  It was a gorgeous day to be out looking for birds, or just going for a walk.  My goal was to look for a Bohemian Waxwing or two, as there had been an influx of waxwings a couple days previous.  However, they must have left!  I could not find any waxwing flocks. Neither could other birders.

photo from the past

Lately, Pinery has been sparse for birds, and this day was no exception.  However, I did manage to get a couple of "year" finches.  Flyovers included a Common Redpoll (very scarce this year even in the 'near' north), and a couple of Red Crossbills.  Although rare this far south, the crossbills have been widespread since last summer.  


photo from the past

It was no problem hearing the Red Crossbill, as I got my fill last September on the Algonquin trip where they were everywhere and elsewhere.


Algonquin Red Crossbill

A popular spot for birds is at P9 in Pinery.  Black-capped Chickadees expect to be fed there!  Although I had no offerings, the chickadees landed on my hand, and even my camera.

Nearby Red Squirrel


A look off P9 towards the birdless lake

I nice walk was along the river beside Riverside Campground.  I have good luck in the past along here, but it was almost birdless as well.

Canada Geese on the Ausable

Later, I briefly checked out Ipperwash at the old MNR parking lot.  I found eleven Cedar Waxwings.....more than in Pinery!  Alas, no Bohemians either.

On the way home, I noticed many Red-tailed Hawks, many paired up.


Yesterday, I stayed near home in the morning, but it was so nice I headed down to Rondeau Park for an afternoon walk.

The best option was marsh trail, albeit very few birds to be found.  The Bay was still frozen, but some open water was within the marsh.  I walked all the way to Long Pond, then headed back.  

The walk back revealed a couple of decent birds, included a pair of Gray Catbirds.  This was rather unexpected, as none had been reported in the park this year.  Obviously they wintered nearby.  True to form, they remained skulky.


Not sure what this one was trying to say.....


Also, a Northern Shrike made an appearance.  At least one has been out there this winter.


Signs of warmth included this Isabella Tiger Moth caterpillar.


Trailside, a cute Virginia Opossum was nibbling on a dead Racoon.


Along the trail, a Canadian Beaver was startled by my presence.  It had been sunning, so was dry, then took a dive.




Today was like April with balmy and windy conditions.  The temp went up to 15 C!

I stayed close to home, but saw very few birds.  Blackbirds have already arrived, and no doubt Killdeer are around.

I went for a long walk at Reid CA, then went to a private property west of Wallaceburg.  The trusty Eastern Screech-owl was absorbing some sun as it poked out of a duck box.  I only had the cell phone handy for a photo.


Withe the balmy weather and strong SW wind, it will be interesting to see what hops in this weekend.



No comments:

Post a Comment