Tuesday, February 13, 2024

More Rondeau and Moore Mussels

 Little to report as we seem to be in a lull for birding around here.  I have been down to Rondeau a couple more times, as it seems to be the only decent place to go to.  There is not much to see up my way, especially when the St. Clair River is dead for ducks!

On one of my trips, I came across a pair of Short-eared Owls hunting a field at dawn.  I just happened to get lucky along this well-travelled road!




There seems to be a number of them around this winter, but of course not like it used to be in the 'old' days.

That day at Rondeau was not too bad for birding, but the north end of the campground seems to be one of the better spots.  I came across the wintering Audubon's Yellow-rumped Warbler.  It was very active and kept burying itself in the trees, so no chance for a good photo.  You can see the yellow throat patch in any case.




I also walked along the beach of south point trail.  The ever-shrinking shoreline offers a different view each time.  Imagine a building well back from the lakeshore here many decades ago!


Later, I briefly checked the Erieau marsh trail.  It was warm enough for the first Midland Painted Turtles to soak up some sun.


Water levels have gone down to a respectable level which gave me a chance to check out Moore WMA recently.  The high water changed things, and several mussel shells got caught up at the bend in the river.  Most appeared to be Giant Floater, which is a very common and widespread species.


They can get very large!  Latin name is now Pyganodon grandis, but it used to be Anodonta grandis grandis

There was at least one Fragile Papershell, another common species.  It is similar-looking.


Also in the mix were a couple of Deertoe mussels, a vulnerable species.  They are somewhat regular here.  Here is one:



Even with the very high and fast moving water recently, it failed to dislodge the large oak tree caught up on the causeway.  I guess it will be a permanent fixture there, unfortunately not allowing us to be able to cross the river anymore.



I went back to Rondeau today, but it was very disappointing from a birding standpoint.  The weather is too stagnant but it will now be colder for a few days. Perhaps that will change things.

I walked half way out marsh trail, then checked the campground, then drove around the park.

I did quite a bit of travelling, checking the park, Shrewsbury, Erieau and the lagoons.  Although thousands of ducks on the Bay, I saw nothing of note.  I had hoped to see Greater White-fronted Geese, but, but there were not many geese anywhere.  Where did they go?

The north end of Rondeau's campground was quite birdy at one point this morning, but nothing new.  I did see the Audubon's Warbler again, so it is doing well.

Spring cannot come soon enough!



No comments:

Post a Comment