Sunday, February 4, 2024

Ice Fog! And a Ramble Through Reid Conservation Area

 A frosty start to the morning greeted us today.  In fact, we had some thick ice fog that coated everything.  I had intentions of driving along the St. Clair River, but visibility was limited.


At the Sombra dock, a male American Wigeon was new to the crowd.


I decided to get away from the river, but it was still quite foggy when I set out for a walk at Reid CA.


Everything was coated in frost.


Much of the property was flooded during the high water last week, but most has drained away.

It was very still and quiet as I walked through the woods.  A Pileated Woodpecker called loudly as it worked a tree.  As big and loud as they are, they can hide quite well.  I never did see it, but its haunting voice sure carried a long distance!


I looked for odd things to photograph during my walk.

This tree with a twist is always seen on my route through the woods.  I noticed this one many years ago, but the tree is now dead, so will not last much longer.


One area contains many American Beech trees.  This one was hollow, as many of them are.


A fallen tree was oozing moisture, forming a coloured icicle.



There are various mosses on the property (not my department!).  Here is one that I believe to be Delicate Fern Moss.


And, of course various fungi.

Pear-shaped Puffball

a bracket fungus

And, not to mention lichens.

Common Greenshield Lichens

I walked along the river at the high point of the property, which is one of my favourite spots in all seasons.  There is a sharp bend here. The river used to go straight in ancient times, hence the low valley on the property.

Looking Upriver

Looking Downriver

Another scene along the old river course.


Later in the morning the sun finally showed as the fog had burned off.  In the afternoon I took advantage of the clear skies and went for a drive.  It was such a rare day of sun for this winter, it was quite enjoyable.

A Bald Eagle was soaking up some sun at Cathcart Park, while a local tug was taking advantage of the ice-less river.



Finally a nice day!


No comments:

Post a Comment