Friday, February 16, 2024

An Essex County Visit And Other Things

 Wednesday I headed down to Essex County and visited various birding spots.  I did not have much luck in finding many birds (again!), but it was a nice sunny day to be out and about.

The main reason I headed that way was to attend a presentation at Ojibway in the evening, given by Cameron Chevalier.  Cam has become Essex County's bird record compiler extraordinaire!  For the second year in a row he has published a detailed list of Essex County's birds.  2023 was an exceptional year for many reasons.  An astounding 309 species of birds were found, including five new for the well-birded county!

To put that into perspective, that total represents the highest for any Canadian county or region in a single year (using eBird data).  Over 24,000 eBird checklists were submitted.

The five new species included Willow Ptarmigan, Glaucous-winged Gull, White-winged Tern, Ferruginous Hawk and Cassin's Kingbird.  Limpkin was posted on a Facebook page, but details were never determined, so that is not included.  However, the Limpkin at Wheatley Provincial Park was within the Point Pelee birding circle, so it deserves an honourable mention.

Back to my day, I first went to the National Park.  Birds were scarce, or at least hiding, as I moved through the park.

White-throated Sparrow

One of many American Robins


I then went to Hillman Marsh for a walk (lots of geese, but only Canada!).  Not much in the shorebird cell....yet.

Lone Lesser

Heading west, I briefly stopped at Jack Miner's, drove along Concession 6, passing by the dump on road 18, then down to Holiday Beach CA.

I went for a walk to the tower there.  There was lots of waterfowl to look at, but I did not carry a scope.

Along the way, the road crosses a wet area.  Little fish were thick along the boardwalk, which appeared to be carp.  Maybe this is why they call it Carp Crossing!  Too bad they could not be scooped up and disposed.


A view from the tower:



I never get to Holiday Beach, despite it being a super birding spot. It is just too far and out of the way (almost a 2h drove from Wallaceburg!).  I have been there twice before, but it was decades ago!

After this, I briefly visited the memorial forest nearby where the Boreal Chickadee was last winter.

Then, I headed west and north on Road 20, going by some well-known birding spots.  Along the lower Detroit River, there were lots of ducks to see.  I guess that is where they all went!  The St. Clair River is once again almost devoid of ducks this winter, something that has me baffled.

After an early supper in Amherstburg, I parked at Ojibway for a walk at dusk.


Only thing notable was a calling Great Horned Owl.

To put in time before the presentation, I headed just up the road and parked at Malden Park to watch the sun set.  Here we can view the new Gordie Howe bridge that is being built.  The sides are almost connected!



Thursday, I did a lot of driving around.  I stopped by Moore WMA once again, looking at mussels.  Although it may seem boring to some, these molluscs fascinate me.  There are many different ones, and I have found some rare types on occasion.  Here are two regulars that are considered rare by NHIC.

Deertoe

Mapleleaf

That fallen tree is certainly a conundrum!  It is amazing how such a massive tree (Burr Oak) has been moved by water.


On the way to the WMA along Waubuno Road, I encountered a Common Raven.  Not unusual in Lambton anymore!  A bit distance, but obvious.  The "croak" got my attention (I always drive with windows open!).


Today (Friday) was a fine day with clear skies.  I went down to Rondeau Park for lack of anything else to do.  At the end of Kent Bridge Road, I finally caught up with the wintering Red-headed Woodpecker!  Just a quickie photo at a bad angle from the car:


This severely-declined species is always a treat to see.  We used to get them on the Wallaceburg CBC in the early days.  Notably, 114 were recorded on the Blenheim CBC in 1983 if my chart is correct! 

In the park, birds were scarce as expected, but I was just happy to be out walking south point trail and along the beach.

sands of time

The campground had some birds at the north end, including a sizable flock of Field Sparrows.  Might have been ten here.




I encountered no Yellow-rumped Warblers, but the rarity and other had been seen earlier in the morning. However, they move around quite a bit in search of edibles.

On the way home, I veered over to Ridgetown Lagoons to view the lone Greater White-fronted Goose.  It was not close though.


There was not much else here, but as always, some geese of the Cackling variety were present. Just like Hiawatha Race Track in Sarnia, this is a spot for various geese!

It is already mid-February, so spring is on the way....not that we really had a winter!  Spring is my favourite season, so hopefully it will go at a snail's pace.





No comments:

Post a Comment