Wednesday, February 21, 2024

Seafood At Reid Conservation Area

Not really!  But, there were actually mussels and shrimp to feast on.

Tuesday afternoon was quite nice so I went for a walk at Reid CA north of Wallaceburg.  It is a bit of a hike to get to the river, but I thought it would be nice to check some of the shoreline.  I went to the south end where there are often mussels.
The water level is down to a respectable level, so there was some exposed mud.  I have found a variety of mussels at Reid.  This day there were quite a few Mapleleaf.



I find the Mapleleaf are one of the easiest to identify.  Although a threatened species, they are quite common on the north branch of the Sydenham.

As well, a Deertoe or two were exposed.





Eventually, I cut in to the mature woods.  There is still quite a bit of water from the flooding a few weeks ago.  At one point, I noticed some creatures swimming in a pool.  I do not think I have ever noticed these before, but they sure looked like shrimp!  I did the best I could to take photos as they swam in the water.







After getting home, I did some research and found these were a species of fairy shrimp.  Who would have thought there would be shrimp here?

There are a couple of possibilities for species, so it is best left as Eubranchipus.

Actually, they are crustaceans found in vernal pools when conditions are right in late winter or early spring.  They are as ephemeral as some orchids!  They can be abundant one year, but absent the next....it just depends on conditions.  Life span can be around two weeks.

Eggs are actually cysts that can enter a diapause, and will hatch when conditions are suitable.

An interesting creature!

In other things, not much has been happening in the bird world.  Soon we should see a change in numbers and species.

Along the St. Clair River, there have a been a few more gulls the last few days.  White-winged gulls are a rare commodity this winter.  I only saw my first Glaucous of the calendar year a few days ago at Corunna!





There was also a first year Iceland here as well.

A couple of days ago I did the long walk at Rondeau's marsh trail.  Everything was frozen again, and nothing new in birds.  The Eastern Towhee and Gray Catbird, a couple of nice winter birds, were in the same locale.

The Northern Shrike, if it is the same individual, seems to have a wide range of territory.  On the walk back, I found it close to the beginning of the trail.




I would imagine it would like this shrew I found farther out the trail.  Perhaps it was dropped!



A Rough-legged Hawk was farther out.




Yesterday morning, I checked out Mitchell's Bay, and around to Lighthouse Cove.  Everything was too frozen!  I guess it really should be anyway this time of year.

Along the south shore trail, the resident Eastern Screech-Owl was keeping an eye on things.




A Jeannette's Creek, a Belted Kingfisher was patrolling the boat launch area.




Today was a rather uneventful day.  I noticed that the Northern Pintail was still at Sombra.  Obviously content there with its winter stay.

Common Mergansers are numerous on the river right now.




Red-winged Blackbirds are on territory everywhere now, but for some strange reason is still flagged as rare in Lambton on eBird.




No comments:

Post a Comment