Thursday, January 4, 2024

Starting Out in 2024

As per tradition, many of us started out New Year's Day doing a Christmas Bird Count.  Locally, we do the St. Clair NWA CBC which always gives a good kick start to the new year with regards to birding.

I have been doing this count since 1990 as I recall.  Yellow-headed Blackbird sticks in my mind as one of the "decent" birds Steve Charbonneau and I saw within the Bradley property that year.

This year, I worked St. Luke's marsh (owned by Ducks Unlimited) once again.  I have been doing this one off and on, often by myself, for the last twenty years or so.  Adjacent to the wildlife area, it has much similar habitat.

This past Monday, the weather was certainly more decent than any of the previous CBC's this season.  The wind was a bit brisk out of the NW, making things uncomfortable along the lakeshore.  However, in more protected sections of the marsh, it was quite pleasant.  It started out very gloomy, but later we had bouts of that rare commodity call sun!

Just after I started walking, things started out with a bang as an adult Golden Eagle soared overhead.  Lighting was horrible, but I made sure it was not a young Bald!  Apparently there were two other sightings of Golden Eagle that morning in other territories, so possibly it was the same creature.

Like any other marsh, St. Luke's is getting choked out with phragmites, and that was all I could see in some sections.

View at the first opening



One section has exposed lakeshore, but with the brisk cold wind, the lake was choppy and there was virtually nothing on the water.  Usually it is ice, and it really should be at this time of year!

Just before leaving the exposed area, I took this photo looking north.




The last few years there has been some erosion, as I recall walking along here in past years.

There is a cross dyke in the middle which was thick with 'phrag' in most parts, but I made it through.  Early along this part, I heard the familiar chirp of a Common Yellowthroat.  I never did see it, but perhaps that was my second best bird behind the Golden Eagle.  Not surprising for this mild winter.

The only decent photo was one of three Ruddy Ducks that I saw.




My last walking section was that which parallels Townline Road.  I walked most of the way to the pumphouse, and had absolutely zero birds!  On the way back, the chit-chit of a Marsh Wren caught my attention.  Another decent bird, but not unexpected here.

I ended up with 31 species, a bit below average for here.  I am told the total count tally is well over 80 species, which is decent.  Waterfowl and waterbirds are a significant factor in this count.

Yesterday, I ventured down to Rondeau and Erieau to check off some birds for the 2024 list.  At the park, I only walked the campground and maintenance loop.  I managed to get the Audubon's Yellow-rumped Warbler, which seems to be hanging out with three of its Myrtle cousins.  No photos as this day seemed to be terribly dark with the overcast skies.

Another Yellow-rumped was along the maintenance loop.

Over at Erieau, I wanted to get a look at the female Harlequin Duck.  I saw it right away, but it was a bit distant.





Last year, it took until December 31 to list a Harlequin Duck (this same bird)!, so it was nice to get on this one early in the year.

The marina had lots of birds, including two Pied-billed Grebes.  It was no good for photography, as this day seemed to be one of the gloomiest in recent memory.



There is a cormorant or two around Erieau, but for the life of me, I could not locate one yesterday.

I also walked the Erieau marsh trail while in the area.  Nothing noteworthy to my eyes there.

Today, I slept in for a change, and just checked out the St. Clair River.  It was virtually birdless!  The Northern Pintail was still swimming at Sombra.  It seems quite content there.

Manitowoc downbound at Seager Park



The sun finally came out this afternoon.  Been a long time since we have seen a sunny day!


Nothing new at the home feeders, but more House Finches seemed to have arrived yesterday.


Just east of Wallaceburg, the Bald Eagles continue to build their new nest.  Not sure why they need an upstairs!






No comments:

Post a Comment