Sunday, December 31, 2023

As 2023 Ends

 Here we are at the end of yet another year.  It was a decent year with lots of good sightings and occurrences.  It was not the best year for butterflies and dragonflies, as I missed many things because they were absent or in low numbers.  

It was disappointing for dragonflies, especially at Wardsville Woods.  But, I lucked out on a couple occasions getting specialties like Arrowhead Spiketail and Twin-spotted Spiketail on one day.  Another day, I managed a single Riverine Clubtail!  I was lucky to get the photo of the Riverine.  There was hardly anything there that day, and I saw this fly in.  I took a very quick photo, then it was gone!

Riverine Clubtail



Arrowhead Spiketail

Twin-spotted Sandpiper

There were some other good odonate sightings such at the Westfall's Slender Bluets at Port Lambton's Brander Park.



Birds this year were pretty good, but not as spectacular as the previous year.  However, for someone who does not "chase" birds, except locally, I did quite well.  I almost made 300 in Ontario, but there were some sore misses.  I missed Summer Tanager, even though it was an exceptional spring especially at Rondeau.  I went to Rondeau quite a bit, but the days I did not go was when they were seen!

This fall, Purple Sandpiper was a sore miss.  There were multiples at Erieau/Rondeau, but I missed some by less than thirty minutes!  Today was a good example of another miss.

And, do not get me started with the Roseate Spoonbill at Springwater CA!

A couple of lifers were a nice addition.  This fall, the Western Flycatcher (if accepted) at Rondeau was certainly not on the radar.  It will potentially be a first for Ontario.

The recent Limpkin at Wheatley Provincial Park was another unexpected bird.

The male King Eider and Audubon's Yellow-rumped Warbler at Rondeau Park were nice finds.

A Harlequin Duck was seen at Erieau yesterday, and I knew it would likely be present again today.  I went to Mitchell's Bay first thing for a walk along the south shore trail.  While I was there, a Purple Sandpiper was seen at the Erieau pier, then a bit later the Harlequin Duck was found again.  On to Erieau!

Upon arrival the Harlequin Duck was not a problem as I could see it from my car as I parked.


The Purple Sandpiper was at the end of the pier earlier, but obviously disappeared before I arrived.  In any case, the Harlequin was a nice way to end the birding year.




A bonus appeared in the form of a Snowy Owl.  They have been extremely scarce this fall in southern Ontario and I was under the impression that I would not see one.  The Erieau bird was a bit distant, but showed well.



I have seen various Purple Sandpipers at Erieau before.  Here is one I found on the pier about 15 years ago.



Tomorrow, New Year's Day, is the annual St. Clair NWA Christmas Bird Count (CBC).  I went to Mitchell's Bay this morning in anticipation of seeing what was around.  I was going to check various spots before word came in of the Erieau birds.

Great Blue Heron at Mitchell's Bay

One of the trusty Eastern Screech-owls was keeping watch.


Yesterday was the Skunk's Misery CBC under cloudy skies, but at least no precipitation!  Looked like there was some sun well to the south, but that never materialized in our area.

I worked the Thamesville area, but I found it one of the quietest counts I have done there.  Very disappointing.

The Thames River was running unusually high.

View from under Victoria Road Bridge

However, the count overall did quite well, breaking 60 species, though I did not get the final results yet.  I heard that Ring-necked Duck (multiples) and Common Raven were new for the count.  Common Raven is not a surprise, as they are getting numerous in Lambton.

The count covers parts of four counties which is unique.  The area was well-covered by many veteran birders.

As a new year dawns, tomorrow's CBC will kick things off.  There should be lots of waterfowl, as there is absolutely no ice.  Some lingering birds will be lurking around in this mild weather.


                                  ************************************************

In the history department, the Algoma Transport was on her final voyage from Superior Wisconsin yesterday.  She will be going to Port Colborne for the scrap lineup after discharging her last cargo at Hamilton.  These more "modern" lakers are already going to scrap!

Algoma Transport at Port Lambton 18 April 2023




No comments:

Post a Comment