Monday, January 8, 2024

Some Good Birding For Early January

 Last Friday I ventured down to Point Pelee.  It was was yet another very dark and gloomy day.

The long-staying Townsend's Solitaire was still at De Laurier, but not close enough for good views or photos.  It seemed a bit restless!





On Saturday, it was seen at the north end of west beach parking lot, so it is moving around quite a bit.  It may have worn out the De Laurier spot!

Ducks were not close off the Tip, but several hundred White-winged Scoters were far out.  Difficult to say how many, but I estimated I could see around 400.  The last few years, large numbers have hung around Point Pelee and area.

The Tip was very long.  Certainly the longest I have seen it in many years.



With no ice, many puddle ducks are hanging around.  More than two dozen Northern Shovelers were in Sanctuary Pond.



Trumpeter swans are a regular sight here.



I stopped by Hillman Marsh as well where a young Northern Shrike has been wintering.  It is usually around the boardwalk area, but I found it at the pumphouse beside the shorebird cell.



The gloomy weather continued through Sunday.  I joined the OFO field trip at Windsor, starting at Lakeview Marina Park.  Usually it is an excellent spot to view waterfowl in winter as there is always some open water here.  With no ice, there was no concentration of waterfowl, but we did get a nice variety of birds.  The fog and light snow did not help matters.

It is also a good spot to photograph waterfowl up close in the marina.


Four Wild Turkeys on the island's beach were nice to see there.

This OFO trip also takes in Little River Corridor park nearby.  The adjacent canal and pollution control plant usually attracts birds to the open water.  Wood Duck is almost a guarantee in area.  Not much was there though.

We found a large number of American Robins in the park.  Downy Woodpeckers were numerous as well.

On the last leg of the outing, we walked along the little creek which has extensive tangles.  A number of birds were here, and this is where I spotted a Northern Waterthrush!  It certainly picked a good spot to try and winter during this mild weather.

We lost it to sight for a bit, but then I spotted it again directly in front of me.  I managed some record photos, while most of the group got on it.





It was certainly an unexpected and pleasant find.  As well, it is apparently the first January record for Essex County, at least on eBird.

Northern Waterthrush has often been found late in the province.  My latest was one that Jim Burk and I found at Erieau on December 13, 2009.  I could not get a decent photo of that one though.


That bird stayed another week to be counted on the CBC.

On the way home yesterday, I stopped by St. Clair NWA and drove along Balmoral Line.  There was a plethora of waterfowl, especially geese.  Besides Canada, I saw Cackling, Snow and Greater White-fronted.  I probably missed Ross's!

Speaking of St. Clair NWA, the recent CBC ended up with 88 species.  Very good.  My contributions included the only American Wigeon (3) and Common Yellowthroat.

In other news, the Limpkin was re-found yesterday and is alive and well.  It has found a good supply of snails in a creek at the entrance of Wheatley Provincial Park.  The Limpkin specializes on snails, so perhaps it will do well.


No comments:

Post a Comment