Tuesday, January 23, 2024

Some River Runs and a Rondeau Ramble

 We are back in the mild stuff now, but even with the cold weather last week, little ice has accumulated on the St. Clair River.  Not like the old days!

The following photo, which I have shown before, was taken in mid winter off Port Lambton.  The rail ferry Sainte Marie was on its maiden voyage from Ohio.  It was launched 111 years ago yesterday (22 January 1913).  Photo was taken by Mabel Smith, Port Lambton's grocer of the day.


The many rail ferries on the lakes were known as good ice breakers.  Not often we see ice like that anymore!

I have not done much the last few days, but have checked out the St. Clair River from time to time.

There have been more ducks on the St. Clair River the last couple of days.  The Sombra waterfront was quite busy today with a variety of ducks.  

The trusty Northern Pintail has certainly found a home around the old ferry dock causeway this winter.



There were more mergansers, goldeneye and Redhead on the river today, or so it seemed.



Not many scaup are on the river this winter.  At Sombra, I found this Greater Scaup which appears to missing its lower mandible.  Looks like it is panting!



It looks much like the Redhead at Erieau last year which was in the same predicament.

A number of Tundra Swans are wintering on the river as usual.  We never used to see them in mid winter!




A few days ago when we had cold, crisp and clear weather, I ventured down Rondeau way.  I first checked out Stefina Line where we always find Wilson's Snipe in the unfrozen creek.  I could not see them from the car, but when I got out to take a closer look, they flushed from behind some shrubbery.  Up to four (unusual number) have been seen here of late.

This is a traditional wintering site for snipe.  I remember not long after starting birding, I saw one here on the Christmas Bird Count.

I then worked my way down to Rondeau Park.  It was too cold for much of a walk, so I mainly drove the roads.  Lots of Fox Sparrows were seen (as previously mentioned), as well as a couple of Hermit Thrushes.




There seems to be a number of Purple Finches around right now, as I saw a few.



Afterwards, I drove several back roads.  Snow Buntings, Horned Larks, and Lapland Longspurs are giving a good showing this winter.  We have probably missed Smith's Longspur at some point!



One of these days, I would hope something would show up at the backyard feeders.  Mainly the same stuff everyday, but once in a while I see a Robin, extra goldfinches, or the odd Brown-headed Cowbird.




I doubt we will get any crossbills down this way, but there is a good cone crop just waiting! Native or non-native spruce.





No comments:

Post a Comment