Saturday, January 27, 2024

Soggy and Foggy This Week!

 Not much happened this week as the depressing weather kept things at bay. I did not have much ambition! We had a lot of fog, and Thursday night it rained heavily all night.  Everything was flooded by late Friday.

I walked Peers Wetland a couple of times this week.  More for exercise it seems.





A few birds were around the first time, but virtually nothing the second time.  At least I saw an American Goldfinch!


I checked out the St. Clair River a few times, and it is getting better for numbers of ducks.  However, there was nothing of note.


Today was a better day, and I went down to Rondeau Park.  It was dead calm, so one could hear quite well.  It was almost like early spring, with many birds singing.  Cardinals and Carolina Wrens were most vocal!  There were even lots of Red-winged Blackbirds...some singing!

I managed to find a couple of first-of-year species in the campground, including Field Sparrow and Cedar Waxwing.


Down on south point trail there is some ice along the shoreline to help protect the rapidly-eroding park shoreline in that area.




The concrete structure is now well out in the lake.  Difficult to imagine, this area was once a campground office!



Just before the "washout" area, I encountered the most birds, which included many waxwings, robins, purple finches, cardinals and a few Fox Sparrows.  I was only able to get a photo of a Cedar Waxwing, as shown above, as it fed on multi-flora rose berries.

I also walked Black Oak trail just for the heck of it.  At least one chipmunk has already emerged (or never did hibernate)!


I found the remains of a Leopard (I think) Frog.


That is it for this week!

No comments:

Post a Comment