Thursday, January 18, 2024

Mid January Jaunts

 With the recent cold and very windy weather, outdoor activities have been limited.  It was simply too cold to go for a long walk anywhere.

Feeder watching from home provided the main excitement, although just the usual birds were around.  Last year I had two White-throated Sparrows, but only one is hanging around this winter.


After the big blow, an American Tree Sparrow showed up for a day.  Not a usual visitor here, but for some reason one or two show up after a storm, then depart!


A couple of days ago, I decided to go to Rondeau Park.  It was still quite cold, so walking was limited.  I first checked the campground.  I came across the Audubon's Yellow-rumped Warbler at the north end.  It was quite active, and I was unable, once again, to get a decent photo.


There were lots of Fox Sparrows along Lakeshore Road, feeding in the roadside scrapes.  I counted at least 16.






Yesterday, I headed up to Sarnia for a change.  Things are getting more productive on the St. Clair River and at Sarnia with the more normal winter weather.

A Black-legged Kittiwake was found the day before off Canatara Park--an excellent January record.  I thought chances were slim for me to see it, but after some waiting, it showed off the lakewatch near the water plant!





It was quite distant though, but easily recognized.  It is one of very few January records in the area.  One was in Sarnia Bay December 2019, and just made it into January (I saw this one).  Another was off downtown Sarnia December 2010, and just into January 2011.  Indeed, the current bird was my latest sighting.

Also of note, was a large raft of Redhead ducks.  I really have no idea how many, but certainly over 5000.  There were some scaup mixed in, and perhaps something else, but it was 98% Redhead.




A Bald Eagle put them up a couple of times, creating quite a spectacle.  Note, the eagle in this photo:


Some would drift downstream then head back out.



Today, I did not do much, but we certainly got a lot more snow than what was forecast.  In the afternoon, I took a walk at Moore WMA.  Water levels were recently quite high, so there was ice under the snow.  I slipped and fell twice!  Some scenes:



We used to cross the river when the water is lower, but the large oak tree that fell and drifted down to the causeway, will make it impossible as seen in the above photos.



At one point, a Canadian Beaver swam downstream.



There were not many birds, although usually this is an excellent spot to find wintering birds, including Yellow-rumped Warblers.  Some American Tree Sparrows were working the weeds.


Staying indoors more the last few days, I took on a jigsaw puzzle.  It was a 1000-piece Sibley puzzle, but certainly the most difficult one I have ever done.  I was tempted to give up a couple of times, but true to my nature, I stuck it out.


No more Limpkin, as it was taken in by a rehabber a few days ago (not that I agree with that).  It would not have survived anyway with the recent weather.  Glad I went to see it when I did.  It was looking happy and healthy at that point.


3 comments:

  1. I enjoy reading your blogs. Just wanted to comment on your puzzle. A friend gave me that same puzzle a few years ago and I gave up on it. Glad to see it was not just ME. LOL Maybe will give it another try now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a tough one! Especially the white pieces. I am always one to stick things out!

      Delete
  2. Happy Winter Blake ! Wow--that was some difficult puzzle !
    I hope you have not torn it down too quickly. Perhaps you should
    glue it [ an easy job ] and frame it.
    I did one recently--a 99 butterflies circular one for a Rondeau
    resident. It is displayed under glass of a round coffee table.
    She says she gets a lot of nice compliments about it.
    As a hobby here--- I have 2 puzzle areas set up for residents.
    We do lots of Bird /Animal/Nature scenes.
    Thanks for sharing ! Stay warm. Irene
    p.s We had one Snow Goose visit our yard with 200+ Canada's

    ReplyDelete