Saturday, June 4, 2022

On Stilts and Seeing the Blues

 I did a whirlwind tour today, visiting several spots.  I first drove to Strathroy to see the Black-necked Stilts at the sewage lagoon.  It appears to be a mated pair, with one on a nest!  Hopefully this is successful.  

The only other nesting record is at Jarvis lagoons many years ago, but that nest was predated I think.



Quite a few other things of note were there as well.  Lots of Semisands, and a few Semiplovers. 

 Hooded Merganser with fledged young:



Lots of Ruddy Ducks.


Things were up in the air after this visit, but I ended up at Port Franks!  I first walked the Karner Blue Sanctuary.  Perhaps it was too early in the day, but nary a duskywing.  Unusual!

A couple other insects:

Tawny-edged Skipper


Calico Pennant (F)

I then passed through the village, and at the last minute decided to walk the L-Lake and NCC trail in the forested dunes.  It was a nice walk with a variety of birds and insects.

Racket-tailed Emerald
Chalk-fronted Corporal





Since I was up that way, I checked in the MNR parking lot at Ipperwash for Dusted Skippers.  In a half hour, I saw 30 of those little bandits!


My goal for the day was to see some Silvery Blue butterflies.....in Sarnia!  That was my next stop, so I left Ipperwash and headed that way.

The past couple of years, Silvery Blue has been seen at Blackwell Trails park.  I got to the area and found several on the wing.  However, they never landed.  There is a wooded area, so I thought they would be more co-operative along the edge.  But, one had to cross a weedy area infested with ticks.

I did get lucky and find a couple that eventually perched.  Not the best photo, but it will do:


They are a very bright blue on the upperwing side.



Oddly, I had never seen a Silvery Blue before as far as I know.  They are certainly rare in Lambton, and this is the only place I know of them.

My last walk was at Dow Wetlands. Upland Sandpiper does not seem to be there this year.  In fact, they are scarcer at other locations as well.  Not a good sign.

So, something out of the blue did happen today, lol.



No comments:

Post a Comment