Tuesday, June 7, 2022

A Try for a Heron

 This morning we got word that a Tricolored Heron was seen at Erieau late yesterday.  Steve Charbonneau was on the hunt this morning and eventually spotted it!  An excellent bird for the Rondeau area, as there have not been many.  In fact, I have not seen one for my Rondeau list.

I was at work all day today, and hummed and hawed whether I should go after work.  Well, I did!  I had to got for the fact that it was not only a new Rondeau bird for me, but it brought back good memories of my very first "rare" bird after I started birding in the 1980's.

In late August 1989, two Tricolored Herons were found at St. Clair NWA.  I heard about them from Tom Chatterton and Anton Van Eerd, whom I believe were the finders.  (The OBRC record lists "unknown finder").

I went out the next day and saw at least one of them (August 31).  They were still around on September 3, so I went out to see them again. I recall waiting on the old tower for some time with Tom Hayman (London) and others.  We did not see them from there, but I recall Jim Dowall (from Hamilton area) running back to the tower to tell us that one was in the "Triangle" Marsh across the road.  We then raced to the location to see it.

Today, I arrived just in time at Erieau Marsh Trail.  It was actively feeding, moving around quite a bit.  



I saw it less than ten minutes, before it took flight towards the village.  I think it was then viewable from Bayview Avenue.

Here is a view next to a Great Blue Heron for size comparison.


A nice way to top the day!




No comments:

Post a Comment