Friday, June 3, 2022

Ode Explode and Ruffin' it around Pelee

 This week dragonflies (odes!) came out in force, starting on Tuesday.  Although I did not have much time to look around, there were swarms on the way home from work.

After a quick supper, I went up to Reid CA to have a bit of a look along the trail.  Hundreds of dragonflies were patrolling.  There were lots of Common Baskettails, Dot-tailed Whiteface, Four-spotted Skimmers and Racket-tailed Emeralds.

I was not on my game with the camera, but I did take a few photos.

Four-spotted Skimmer

I have actually never seen so many of the skimmers and emeralds there!  


Racket-tailed Emerald


Dot-tailed Whiteface (F)



Wednesday at work (marina), we were working outside and I noticed a huge number of odes.  A large number of them were Racket-tailed Emeralds!  Actually, I had never seen any of this species there before, or at least noticed any.

I did not have an insect net there, but a fine-meshed fish net did OK to check some of them out!

๐Ÿ‘ฝ

Late Wednesday, a pair of Black-billed Cuckoos visited the yard.  Been a long time since I have seen one here!  Cuckoos in general have been scarce so far this year.


๐Ÿ˜Ž

Today, I ventured down to Point Pelee.  I like being there in June, especially at the Tip.  American White Pelicans are regular there at this time of year. (Today I saw 15)





Gulls can be good in June as well,  I have found Laughing Gull, Black-headed (twice!) and Franklin's in the past.  Today there was not much, but a first cycle Little Gull has been around for a while.




I was early today, and probably left the park too early as well!  I should have looked for odes later in the morning and afternoon.  I did see a Painted Skimmer at one point.


I was hoping for something weird today such as a Great Blue Skimmer.  I bet some of those are found this year!  I have found one before at Pelee.

I stopped by Hillman shorebird cell on the way towards home.  It is still flooded, thankfully.  Sometimes they have already started draining it by this date.

A female Ruff was found by Brandon Holden a couple of days ago, and it was still present.



I wanted to see it, as it has been a long time since I have seen a Ruff.  I have seen lots in the past, including two self-found birds.

Lots of Semi-palmated Sandpipers were present among other common creatures, as well as a tardy Lesser Yellowlegs.

๐Ÿ‘€

As I was home too early (!), I went up to Reid CA this afternoon.  Still lots of odes, including Four-spotted Skimmers coming out the wazoo!  I have never seen so many.





Racket-tailed Emerald

The other species were still in good numbers, plus Common Whitetail, and Twelve-spotted Skimmer.

Very few butterflies, but a couple of Common Ringlets were FOY.


Reid CA is certainly much better for insects than birds!

Maybe tomorrow something out the blue will occur!


No comments:

Post a Comment