Sunday, May 29, 2022

Some Long Walks at Rondeau Park

 The last three days I have been afoot at Rondeau Park!  Friday, it was a long walk out south beach to see what was around.  This time of year is the most interesting, especially with shorebirds.  Highlight was the Piping Plover(s).

Two were indeed discovered last weekend!


This was exciting news since it was a male and female pair, creating a potential for nesting.  Piping Plover has not nested at Rondeau since the 1940's!


Both were born last year (2021), but in different locations.  One was from Presqu'ile, Pennsylvania, the other from Sleeping Bear Dunes in Michigan.

Weather was not the greatest on Friday morning, but three of us made the long trek out to south beach.  We almost got to the end, and did not see a Piping Plover, but after turning around, one flew in from way over the Bay.



On the way back, much farther east, we found it, or another quietly feeding on the beach.


Lots of shorebirds were around, including some Whimbrel.


A couple of young Little Gulls have been hanging around south beach.



Saturday was nice and sunny, and three of us walked the entire marsh trail.  A long, tiring walk, more than 14 km round trip.  Nothing spectacular was seen, but it was something we needed to do.

Common Gallinule

Great Egret

Marsh Wrens are plentiful this year.  I recorded 68, just along the trail itself.

The trail ends, just short of south beach.


Just after we turned around, word was out that a Worm-eating Warbler was on Tulip tree trail.  We got back as fast as we could, but missed the little guy by a few minutes!  Never fails....

While looking for the Worm-eating, I "spotted" this baby turtle.  Turned out to be a Spotted Turtle, an endangered species that I have not seen in a long time!  Cute creature!


I looked around for a couple more hours in the park.  I thought I would miss seeing Showy Orchis this year, but I did find a couple of plants.



A good number of shorebirds were at Keith McLean C. L. later, but nothing of note.  There were several White-rumped Sandpipers, tripping the eBird filter!

Today, I made the long walk out south beach by myself.  It was the last time I would get out there this spring, so I had to go.  Lots of shorebirds farther out.




Shorebird turning stones

I did find one Piping Plover today.  Hopefully the other is still nearby....


I was home just after noon today, but the weather was too nice to resist.  I went for a walk up at Reid CA.  I saw the first Giant Swallowtail of the year.


In just under three weeks, I will be looking for Oak Hairstreaks....again!


No comments:

Post a Comment