Monday, September 27, 2021

Warblers, Hudwits and More (or less)

 For the rest of my week off, I spent some time at Rondeau and other places.  A couple of lakewatches were not too productive, but the woods had a fair number of migrants.  Nothing too noteworthy but nice to see some warblers.  Several Cape May were at the start of marsh trail.




Lots of hummingbirds are heading southward, occasionally stopping at feeders along the way.


I went for a walk at Hillman Marsh as well.  The shorebird cell now has water in it, so should be checked.  No noteworthy shorebirds on my visit though.

Sandhill Cranes

One area was littered with checkered skippers.





Saturday was not too productive as it rained all morning.  I took advantage of that time to finally get a new cell phone!

Sunday I went back to Rondeau.  There was a good pocket of warblers farther along south point trail.  This Northern Parula co-operated nicely.


Magnolia Warbler

American Redstart


It is time to look for Nelson's Sparrows, so I checked out McLean C. L.  No luck.  Lots of Common Checkered Skippers and Bronze Coppers were around on Sunday.




The past number of days, an exceptional number of Hudsonian Godwits had set down in southwestern Ontario.  Middlesex County did well!  I was not going home on Sunday without seeing some, so I went up to Glencoe to view the twelve that were east of the village.  Lighting was no good and they were not too close.






Last year, we had some at McLean's.  There is suitable habitat presently due to the excessive rain this past week, but none have shown up there yet.  Here is one from last year:

"Hudwit"

This one was in early November, so lots of time to see more!





No comments:

Post a Comment