Friday, September 24, 2021

September Tour: A Visit to Some Favourite Parks

This past Sunday I headed northward for a few days during my annual week off.  I checked out some of my favourite provincial parks:  MacGregor Point, Awenda and Killbear.  As one plans these months in advance, it is a gamble as to what you find and what the weather will be.  It was a somewhat disappointing trip! As a result, I took very few photos.

As you all know, we had a record amount of rain this week, a certain sign of climate change.  My first two days were quite nice, but the third was a bit iffy, the fourth a complete washout and the fifth non-existent.  I had no choice but to forfeit a night at Killbear due to the rain.  Sitting in the car most of the day was not an option!  The crazy weather continues!

Anyway, Sunday was a gorgeous day to head up highway 21.  I had time on my hands, so I continued on past Port Elgin to east of Owen Sound to take a chance on the Northern Wheatear at Annan.  It had been seen an hour before I arrived, so it was still around!  I waited about an hour, and the four people present eventually left.  The bird did pop up in the distance briefly, but it was too far for a photo.  I did not stick around as I wanted to get back to MacGregor Point.

Chantry Island



Birding was rather slow, but I always enjoy being there.  I sat by the lake before sunset (my usual spot was closed this year).

Mergs on the lake at sunset



As the sun set, it was dead calm and clear while I sat at the campsite.  A couple of bats flew over, and some birds were heard.  Eventually I heard a Great Horned Owl.

Next morning I did some more birding in the park before heading east.  Highlight was a Peregrine Falcon along the lakeshore.

I was hoping the wheatear would be reported again, as I would have taken another look.  Not to be.  It appears Sunday the 19th was the last day it was seen.

Bruce/Grey Road 40 heads straight out from MacGregor Point and goes right to the Georgian Bay shoreline near Thornbury.  It is actually a very scenic drive!

Once I got through the traffic chaos at Collingwood and Wasaga Beach, I headed north to Awenda Provincial Park.  Before checking in, I birded the Wendat trail around Second Lake.  Quite a few birds were at the north end.  They were at treetop level, so it was a challenge to sort through them.

Violet Dancer

I might note that all three parks I visited were devasted by gypsy moths this year.  Shows how widespread the outbreak was this year.  I guess forest floor plants got more sunlight this year.  Large-leaved Aster was quite abundant at Awenda.




After setting up the tent, I birded the Robitaille trail.  I talked about the history of this one in the past.




The evening was very windy and one could not hear very much.  Usually I get Barred Owls here, but it was just too windy this time.

Next morning it started pouring rain before I got the tent down.  Not on the agenda!  It eventually stopped for me to get in some more birding in along the lakeshore.

Sailboat leaving anchorage near Methodist Point



The drive from here to Killbear is around two hours, so I headed out.  At least it did not rain on the way despite a threatening sky.

Killbear Provincial Park is quite scenic.  It has three hiking trails:  Twin Points, Lookout Point, and Lighthouse Point (very short).  It also has a more recent recreational trail that parallels the main road right through the park.

I have been to Killbear six times now, the first being in 1994.  It is an "out-of-the-way" park as you head west off the 400 (was two-lane highway 69 back in '94!), then goes south down a peninsula.  It is less than a half hour from Parry Sound.

Upon arrival, I checked out Twin Points Trail, then walked Lookout Trail.




Lookout is the highest point in the park looking east.




Twin Points has a couple of scenic spots along the lake on red granite.



There are several nice beaches at Killbear...for use when the weather is nice.

View from Lighthouse Point


Rain came later in the day, and I only got halfway through supper before I had to retreat to the car!  The night was horrendous with a torrential downpour like there was no tomorrow.  Good thing I put a tarp over the tent!

Scene along Twin Points trail


Next morning, I walked both Twin Points and Lookout Point before the rain really hit.  There was a bit of drizzle off and on though.  I did find more birds than the previous day, so that kept my busy.  A Ruffed Grouse was a highlight.




I also went down to Lighthouse Point for another walk while the rain came down.

Northern Parula in the rain


I drove around a bit and unhappily sat in the car.  I thought hard about what I was going to do, and by noon I decided head out and forfeit a night's stay.  I went to the campsite and wrapped up the wet tent.  I got a surprise underneath....a couple of Red-backed Salamanders were hiding from the deluge!




It was not going to be fun driving home, but I focused on that and headed south.

It was heavy drizzle or rain the whole 6+ hours home!  I drove straight through.

Who is in charge of weather anyway??  I have some words....


No comments:

Post a Comment