Friday, September 3, 2021

Waning Summer Sightings

 Not really much to report as of late as the summer wanes.  Some days have been decent for migrants but the stagnant muggy weather did not help until recently when the heat wave finally broke.

Last Saturday I stopped by Blenheim lagoons and found a Red-necked Phalarope, always nice to see!


Lots of Yellowlegs there as well.



There have not been many shorebirds at Blenheim due to lack of habitat.  The water level in the cells has been high, and the sprinklers cells are not being used.

There was still a decent number of birds along the Erieau rail trail.

Last Sunday I stopped by Forest lagoons, which seems to be the best place around for viewing shorebirds.  Bairds Sandpipers have been making a significant presence there.  I saw up to 16 on my visit, the most I have ever seen at once!  Too distant for a decent photo though.



A few warblers have been moving through the yard this week, including several Bay-breasted.



Peers Wetland has not been producing yet this fall migration.  Usually I would get some decent days there for birds on occasion.

Lance-tipped Darner

Viceroy


I decided to go out to Mitchell's Bay on evening this week.  I had not been on the south shore nature trail since early spring!  It was very windy, but around the dock area, I found a decent number of warblers and other birds.  Some of my photos were fuzzy, but this Cape May Warbler turned out OK.


Marsh Wren


Back at the gate, I stood for sometime watching birds on the move.  This is often a good place to stand late in the day.  I was lucky to see a Marbled Godwit fly over.  No idea where it went though!

Today I went down to Rondeau, starting with a short lakewatch.  Lots of gulls, but nothing of note!  One wonders if the storm Ida ent some birds up our way.

There was decent number of passerines along south point trail, with the bulk being vireos.  Some of the warblers included a few curious Wilson's.



I also saw my first junco of the fall, as well as a Purple Finch.  The summer must be coming to an end!


The stable flies were ridiculous along the lake, so I did not linger there.

I then went to Blenheim lagoons, which I knew would be a waste of time.  Not going there until again unless something is reported!

The day was still young so I headed east and stopped by the river east of Thamesville.  Nothing new, but Smoky Rubyspots always are interesting, as well as the freshwater mussels along the riverbank.




I even found a Zebra Mussel there!


There were no fresh mussels this week.

Mapleleaf

Pimpleback


Heading east again, I took a walk at Wardsville Woods.  No birds, but a few butterflies were of interest.  My first checkered-skipper there was a decent find.



Several Great-spangled Fritillaries were still flying.


Lots of plants were in bloom. I found a patch of Great Plains Ladies Tresses.



Last stop was the trail in the Mosa Forest (Skunk's Misery) off Sassafras.  mosquitoes were bad, but I did find a pocket of birds consisting of several vireos and others.



Red-breasted Nuthatches were on the move today.  I had four in the yard this evening!



No comments:

Post a Comment