Friday, August 27, 2021

Balmy Birding and Mo(o)re Mussels

 As this wacky weather continues, I do get out from time to time.  It has not always been enjoyable in the oppressive heat and hoardes of mosquitoes.

Last Sunday afternoon I went back up to Moore WMA to look along the riverbank.  Nothing new in mussels, but they always interest me.

Pink Heelsplitter




Deertoe



Mapleleaf


Wednesday I was having a bad day, so left work at noon and went down to Rondeau.  There was a good selection of warblers to be found.  Black Oak trail, not often birded, was actually quite good.  However, one could not enjoy the stay due to mosquitoes.  Certainly the worst summer I have ever experienced for mosquitoes!

Evening walks at Peers Wetland is something to do after supper.

Slender Spreadwing

Least Skipper

Today, I went down to Rondeau and spent quite a bit of time.  South Point was somewhat quiet, with very few warblers.  Lots of flycatchers and vireos though.

I checked out Tulip tree trail as well.  Several waterthrushes, including one I believe was a Louisiana.  There were lots of waterthrushes today.

I decided to go out marsh trail as well.  I have not been out there since May!  The vegetation has grown in tremendously, and even a couple of spots difficult to walk.  Nature is reclaiming the trail!

Chestnut-marked Pond Moth


It was a good choice, as there were lots of birds compared to SPT.  Cape May Warblers were having a good day, as I saw several of them in certain areas.



My favourite vireo was present as well.  Philadelphia Vireos are quite attractive.


I added several other species to the day's list out the trail.

Scarlet Tanager


It was getting late in the morning by the time I returned to the car, so I headed out towards Thamesville. I wanted to check the river bank at the Tecumseh Monument for Smoky Rubyspots.  A few were there, plus the numerous American Rubyspots.




The river was low enough that I checked a shallow area for mussels.  There were lots there, some rather old.  One can get a few different species here compared to Moore WMA.  Elktoe and Pimpleback were numerous.  Last year I recall finding a Purple Wartyback.

Here are some:


Elktoe


Pimpleback

Flutedshell

Elktoe

Mapleleaf

Elktoe

This one I was not sure:








No comments:

Post a Comment