Monday, September 6, 2021

Wetland Wandering

 Today I took a long drive and checked out West Perth Wetlands at Mitchell.  It is a premier site for attracting and viewing shorebirds.



I usually head up there once in August each year, but nothing of note had been reported.  I also stop by there on my trips north (usually coming home) for a break from driving.  Last year in September, a Barnacle Goose was present and I managed to see that on my way back from Algonquin Park.  I wondered about its origin, but I see that it was accepted by the OBRC.

Anyway, I noted that yesterday a large number of shorebirds were reported at West Perth, so I thought today was a good time to head up there.  It was a nice drive as virtually no traffic on the roads!

Indeed there were lots of shorebirds.  I estimated at least 190 Lesser Yellowlegs, plus some Greaters (and probably some Mediums too!).



A scope is defintely required here, as most shorebirds are distant.



A Red-necked Phalarope was reported recently, and I managed to spot it at the far side of the one cell.


Later, it came a little closer.  It was a new bird for my list there.



A couple of White-rumped Sandpipers were mixed in as well, but too distant to photograph.

Nothing really rare today, but nice to sort through so many shorebirds.

Shortly before I left, a Great Egret flew over.


My best shorebird there was a Marbled Godwit, seen a number of years ago in September.

Looks like Kettle Point was the place to be today with an incredible number of jaegers!  I am not really interested in standing in one spot these days. I was happy with my observations for today.

The last couple of days I have done some wandering around.  I have no luck in finding anything spectacular though!  Usually I am in the right place at the wrong time, or in the wrong place at the right time, lol.

Saturday, I encountered a Clay-colored Sparrow at Keith McLean C. L.  We do not often see them around here in the fall migration.






Sunday, one of my stops was Moore WMA.  A few warblers were present, but I was once again looking at mussels.  No new species though, but more were exposed as the water levels dropped.

Pink Heelsplitter

Fragile Papershell is common, but has some colour to the inside.




You have to be careful what you do, as you are always being watched!





No comments:

Post a Comment