Wednesday, May 19, 2021

Some May Odds 'n Sods (and Snakes)

 I have been out on occasion lately taking in some migrants and other things.  With this hot and dry weather, there have been new birds coming in, but likely the migrants are continuing north.

Sunday I came across a good variety of birds at Rondeau and added several FOY birds.  Black-billed Cuckoo, Alder Flycatcher, Philadelphia Vireo and Mourning were some of the finds.  Many were heard only, as the leaf-out is quite advanced.

On the beach off south point trail we came across a pair of Wilson's Phalaropes, unique to the park.  I do not recall seeing any 'within' the park!  They seem to have taken a liking to the dog beach area.




At the end of the outing, I had tallied a respectable number of species.

I stopped at the Blenheim lagoon site before heading home.  The Eared Grebe was still hanging on.



Monday, I went to work, but late in the afternoon I stopped by Reid CA to catch up on bird life for the atlas.  Also, some insects were out and about.  Reid is a good place for observing various insects, including dragonflies.

Common Whitetail

Common Baskettail


Some FOY butterflies were Silver-spotted Skipper, Juvenal's Duskywing and Giant Swallowtail.  I did not have much luck photographing things, but did get the skipper




Tuesday I went down to Rondeau in the morning. Some new birds were in, but there are obviously more to come as the breeding birds were thin in numbers.

Steve C. and I spent time walking and highlight was a singing Connecticut Warbler.  As per usual, it remained quite elusive, but the song was nice to hear.

At one point, I was summoned to the side of the road to observe a large snake.  I was not sure of species at first, but this one was a very dark individual.  It turned out to be an Eastern Hognose snake.  Unfortunately it had been hit by someone likely not paying attention (as usual).  I had never seen the dark form before.



We do not see hognose snakes as much as we used to, but I have seen a few over the years.

This time of year, I always look for Showy Orchis at a usual location.  This day did not disappoint.



Before leaving the park, I walked a ways out marsh trail.  Some butterflies were seen.

American Painted-Lady

A cloak!


It was getting hot by noon hour, so I worked my way to Chatham where I was scheduled to get my first dose of the COVID vaccine.

There are still more birds to come, and hopefully some rarities which have been fewer this year than last.  Many birds will be heard only!


No comments:

Post a Comment