Friday, May 21, 2021

South Beach Walk or Knot?

 I was definitely going to Rondeau today, but the walking plan was up in the air.  I had the notion of going out the south beach today, as this time of year is excellent for shorebirds and gulls.  

I started on south point trail as as usual, and eventually continued on towards the south beach.

There was not much migrant activity as is often the case in this hot weather.  Red-eyed Vireos were in good number finally, and resident birds were singing away.  However, it seem there are likely more to come.

At one point I recognized the song of a Kentucky Warbler.  Sometimes, something like a Carolina Wren can sound similar.  Even a Mourning Warbler if not heard well might sound similar.  But this was 100% Kentucky!  I could not get a good visual as it moved around quite a bit, but it was constantly singing.  The vegetation was quite thick in this area.  I gave up looking for it after a while!  Apparently Mike Irwin had it a couple hours later.

The lake was fairly calm today as I headed out, but the temps were increasing quickly.  I found quite a few shorebirds farther out the beach, including lots of Ruddy Turnstones, Semisands, Semiplovers, Least Sands, etc.





White-rumper

Dunlin, Least



Steve and Craig braved the entire marsh trail this morning and I actually met them after they arrived at the end.  The south beach meets the end of marsh trail very closely, but there is a narrow channel of water in between.

Craig noticed a White-tailed Deer swimming on the lake.  It was way out and coming in!  Where did it come from?  Ohio?  lol.  


This creature walked across the sand for a bit then jumped into the Bay.  It started swimming again.  Must have been on some kind of marathon!

I walked all the way out to the woody area near Erieau, then headed back.  My goal today was to see Whimbrel, but I saw none to that point and turned away somewhat dejected.

Soon after, I noticed a flock of about 30 shorebirds circling about in the bright sun.  I thought perhaps Dunlin, but it took some time before I realized they were Red Knots!



Eventually they found a spot to rest and feed.  I counted 31.




But 31?  In this day and age we often see them in onesies and twosies or some small number.  I do recall in the "old days" when I first started birding we would get flocks like this on the south beach.  What a treat!

While looking at these, I turned a bit to the Bay side and saw nine Whimbrel on the beach.  Where did these come from?  They were not there previously and I did not see them come in.  Mission accomplished.


I headed back on a high note after making a good choice for today.

I looked around other areas of the park before heading home and added some numbers.  Tennessee and Blackpoll Warblers were in good numbers, and some flycatchers were in.  I added a FOY Olive-sided, my favourite flycatcher, plus an expected Acadian Flycatcher.  Still have not seen a Yellow-bellied!  Maybe tomorrow.....

Here is today's bird list:

https://ebird.org/checklist/S88662528

Looked at some plants, including the uncommon American Gromwell.



Ribbon Snake


No comments:

Post a Comment