Saturday, May 15, 2021

In Search of "Stilts"

 Today was a warmer day and many birds had dropped in overnight.  But, I think many more flew right on over taking advantage of the situation.  They are late this year and will be in a hurry.

I decided to do something different today and take my chances starting at Hillman Marsh shorebird cell as a starting point.

I arrived bright and early (I like it this time of day!).  At the parking lot, it was evident many songbirds had arrived as it was full of song.  Several species of warbler were present including Blackpoll and Tennessee.  Tennessee Warblers had finally arrived as they were everywhere today.



The shorebird cell seemed rather "quiet", as there were not many ducks and most shorebirds were Dunlin.  I had hoped to see the reported Stilt Sandpiper, but did not pick it out.  Possibly it was there in the weedy area.  Stilt Sandpipers are rare in spring migration.

But, I did get something with "stilt" in its name.

After some time, I decided to go towards the back corner to see if I could pick out anything different.  Indeed I did!  I saw a Black-necked Stilt, but then two more appeared.  They must have hid well, as I could not see them from the viewing stand area.

I put out the word around 07:45.  Soon, other birders were on scene.



Finally after a bit of a drought I found some decent birds!

While there, I saw an Osprey (twice) carrying nesting material it seems.



I had no idea what to do next, so just leisurely headed east keeping an eye out for things.  I first ended up at Erieau rail trail where a good number of birds were present to keep me busy.

Here is my list for there:

https://ebird.org/checklist/S88187221

Later, Reuven Martin reported a Marbled Godwit there, so things obviously come and go.  You just have to be in the right place at the right time!  Which is most often the case with "good" birds.

While there, I got report of a Kirtland's Warbler at Rondeau, but it had been lost to sight.  So, I headed up to Blenheim Lagoons instead.

The lagoons were rather quiet, but the Eared Grebe was still present.


The peaked head is certainly distinctive on an alternate Eared Grebe.


The sprinkler cells have had a good number of shorebirds, as well as the middle pond.  One needs to check often!

While there, I got word the Kirtland's had been refound, so what the heck, I will try for it.  Upon arrival, I just missed it by a short while, as many people were looking.  Consolation was a FOY Canada Warbler.  Actually many birds were at the location.

I later walked up Harrison a bit just in case, but no dice.  I have seen three Kirtland's at Rondeau before in past years, so I shrugged it off.

In any case, it was an enjoyable day in balmy weather.

Scarlet Tanager finally showed up in numbers too


No comments:

Post a Comment