Thursday, May 13, 2021

Paying the Piper

 Lately we have had endless north winds and unseasonably cold temps.  As a result, bird migration was slowed considerably.  Today was much better as the weather finally turned to more seasonal, and tomorrow looks promising.

Last Sunday was better than Saturday but still left a lot to be desired.  There was no point in going to Rondeau so I checked out Erieau.  The Prairie Warbler was still present on the "rail trail", more appropriately called the Erieau marsh trail.


The rails are still there buried.  The rail line was last used about 1973.



The little warbler was looking a little more chipper and singing frequently.



Early in the week, Steve Charbonneau reported an Eared Grebe at Blenheim Sewage Lagoons.  It was certainly overdue and something to attract local birders.

I did not get down to see it until Tuesday evening, where it showed well in the late day sun.  Unfortunately, I was not interested in lugging a camera for this outing!

Also present was a good number of shorebirds especially in the sprinkler cells.  Two Wilson's Phalaropes were the highlight in the shorebird department.

After picking up a load of groceries in Blenheim, I was heading just north of town when the report of a Piping Plover at Erieau came in.  As is the case too often with me, I was heading in the wrong direction and decided not to turn back.

The plover was reported again Wednesday morning, then it disappeared.  I suspected it headed over to the Rondeau Park sand spit.

My plan today was to walk out the south beach in hopes of finding it and whatever else was present.  I started on the east side of south point, and birding was fairly steady along the way....for a change.

I started on the long trek out south beach, noting things like Dunlin, Sanderling and Semipalmated Sandpiper.




Many blackbirds were moving along, and at one point I spotted a Yellow-headed Blackbird!  Even though not a "year bird" as I saw a couple in January here in Wallaceburg, it is always a nice find.



I soon lost sight of it, but some time late farther out, I picked up on it again.  Looks like a young male.



I had walked most of the way out and did not find a or 'the' Piping Plover, so I headed back.  Meanwhile some friends were heading out south beach to look for the blackbird.  After meeting them, I headed back to the car.

Lincoln's Sparrow

After walking part of Harrison trail south of Bennett, I got word that they had found a Piping Plover out south beach.  @#$%!

I decided to head down the west side of south point trail contemplating whether or not I should head back out south beach.  There were actually a good number of warblers along the way, plus many Red-breasted Nuthatches.  Even Purple Finches were numerous during the day.

After getting most of the way down the trail, I decided to take a chance and go out the beach.  It was going to be a tiring day, but I was determined to see that plover.  I got to the big break and about half way across it, I spotted the lovely little plover!



It moved around quite a bit as I tried not to disturb it too much.


I had not seen a Piping Plover in a few years (made no attempt!), so that was on my  bucket list for today.  I have only seen previously in Chatham-Kent, a bird I found out south beach on 17 May 2004.

This was the same bird seen at Erieau in the previous days!  Apparently it was born last year in the US at the eastern end of Lake Ontario.

Interesting that it has been hanging around for this time.  Historically, Piping Plover nested on the sands of Rondeau.  It would be nice if it found a mate out there, but chances of nesting are slim.  Too much disturbance by boaters, beachgoers, tourists, etc.

On the way back, I encountered a Clay-colored Sparrow.



Total species for the day was 114 and even an owl sp.


I certainly paid my dues today with all that walking....~25km!  At least I should get a good night's sleep.


No comments:

Post a Comment