Saturday, May 8, 2021

Another May Report: Lowlights and Highlights

 Really not much to say as this stupid weather continues.  Today was probably the worst as I could not continue after noon....spent the rest of the afternoon thawing out!

Not the greatest photos this week, but when it is heavy overcast and you are shaking from the cold, it does not help.

Monday was no good, but Tuesday was not too bad for migrants.  The sun even came out.  I was out locally and found some nice migrants.

Wednesday I went down to Rondeau on another cloudy day.  Some FOY birds included Eastern Wood Peewee, Willow flycatcher, Hooded and Cape May Warblers, as well as an American Redstart or two.



Palm Warblers were in huge numbers (80+), as well as Yellow-rumped Warblers.


best I could do!


Later, Steve and I walked the west trail of south point and at the lake I found a  nice male Cerulean Warbler.  I could not get on it very well with the camera as it was flitting about down low.



Thursday was useless for birding except a White-winged Dove was spotted SW of Wallaceburg.  I arrived on scene about 15 minutes after it was seen, but it was nowhere to be found!  It must still be there as there is good habitat.  It is a first for the Wallaceburg area.

Friday was not much better under yet another cloudy sky.  I went to Rondeau and walked out marsh trail to Long Pond.  It was a good choice as there was virtually nothing elsewhere in the park.  There was nothing special, but you never know until you look!  FOY were some Common Gallinules.  Several Sora were calling in the marsh.  In any case, I always enjoy the walk out marsh trail.

Gray-cheeked Thrush

That same duck from last fall was still patrolling Long Pond.


That walk took the better part of the morning, and by late morning the sun had come out much to our delight.  There was no point in spending any more time in an almost birdless park, so I took advantage of the time and headed over to Hillman Marsh.

A Western Sandpiper had been discovered the previous evening, and it was still present.  It did not take long to find it after I arrived.  It moved around constantly and never came too close.

very highly cropped


I had not seen a Western in some time, so it was nice to get this year.

Also present were two Long-billed Dowitchers, and various other shorebirds including countless Dunlin.



The two resident Trumpeter Swans were showing nicely.  They are getting a little rusty from hanging around so long!



Today it might as well have snowed for how cold it was.  Quite windy as well.  There was no point in going to Rondeau Park, so I checked out Erieau.  I walked McGeachy Pond dike, and then the rail trail.  A few birds of interest were along the trail, and at one point I kept hearing a Prairie Warbler singing.  It took quite a while to find the little shivering creature, but there it was, down low.



I also watched at the pier area for a while, but nothing of interest showed.

Next stop was Keith McLean C. L. but nothing new was there either.  By this time, I worked my way home and thawed out the rest of the day.

To the weather! 
(what species is this?)




2 comments: