Saturday, November 14, 2020

Birding The Last Two Days

 As I often do, I went down to Rondeau Park early Friday morning.  I did a lakewatch with Steve Charbonneau first thing.  A variety of ducks went by, but the most common was Red-breasted Merganser.

This time of year we find them in big numbers, and this day we counted almost 15,000 in less than two hours.




Most of the flocks are pure, but sometimes there are other species mixed in, so one has to be on the ball!  I recall once at Point Pelee we spotted a King Eider.

I then walked south point trail on my own.  I flushed a late Amerian Woodcock along the trail.  Nothing unusual, but a single Evening Grosbeak flew overhead.  Most of the finches have moved through, but the odd one is still around.

The campground, always a must this time of year, was next.  Shortly into my walk, I heard the soft chip of a warbler.  I knew it was not a Yellow-rumped (never saw one this day!), but soon spotted it in a pine tree.

It turned out to be a Black-throated Green Warbler!  Although it is a good time of year for a Townsend's, it was the next closest thing.  I did not have time to get proper camera settings though.



I assume it is record late for Rondeau.  The previous latest I saw was 7 November 1998 which was latest at that time.

The usual campground sapsucker was busy tapping trees.



Here is the list for Rondeau:

https://ebird.org/checklist/S76202444

After the park, I by-passed McLean's and went to the lagoons.  There was nothing new there, so I moved on to Craford Cemetery.  I met up with Allen Woodliffe who was already watching.

Not much was to be seen at that hour...prehaps first thing in the morning would have been better.  Certainly we are all "finched-out"!  A couple of redpolls did flyover the hour I was there, among other things.

Today it was northward bound.  It was a clear and crisp morning, just the way I like it!  As usual, I like to start at sunrise at my destination.  Ausable River Cut CA was the first stop.



I had hoped for a number of finch types this day, but not too many were left it seems!  Common Redpolls were at every stop today.



Some Evening Grosbeaks flew over the cut at one point, as well as a few migrant Common Loons.

A few Tundra Swans were heading to the fields.



I stopped by Ipperwash in a couple of spots.  The lake was somewhat devoid of birds at the two spots I looked out.  However, I was a bit early perhaps, as a Western Grebe was found a bit later!

A Red-throated Loon was fairly close, but no Western Grebe was visible to my eyes.



At beach 4, I did see a largish grebe flying way out.  Western crossed my mind, but I could not do anything with it.  Unbeknownst to me, one would be reported less than a hour later in this locale!

It is a good time of year to find them.  One was at Bright's Grove a couple of years ago, and I found one off Pinery 18 November 2006.



A stop at Forest Lagoons revealed a number of ducks, including about 60 Green-winged Teal among other species.



Common Redpolls were flying over here as well.

Closer to home, I stopped by McKellar Tract, Moore WMA and Nicholl's Memorial Forest and wetland.  Those locations had redpolls as well!

At Moore, a couple of Evening Grosbeaks were heard at the nearby house, but I never saw them.

At home late this afternoon, I finally had some Evening Grosbeaks stop by.  They fed briefly in the neighbours Manitoba Maple, then were gone!  The last time I had one here was 2010.


Looks like wicked weather for Sunday, so will see what transpires!


No comments:

Post a Comment