Monday, November 9, 2020

Sunday Stuff and Some Shorebirds

 The unseasonable weather certainly caught up with us on Sunday.  It was just too nice and fewer birds were to be found.  I was certainly glad I went up to Ipperwash on Saturday, as Sunday appeared to be rather low key, and the Townsend's Solitaire was a no-show from the reports that came in.

I checked out Rondeau in the morning.  A good number of birds were near the "S-curve" on south point, including Eastern Bluebirds.



It was so humid, my camera fogged up at one point, as the following photo shows!



I stopped by Keith McLean Conservation Lands after the park.  The same old shorebirds were present, but co-operated quite nicely.



The two Hudsonian Godwits were busily feeding, gearing up for their trip to the south.





The Long-billed Dowitcher was also in the same mode.



A Least Sandpiper and a Semipalmated Sandpiper were in the mix.




Lots of Dunlin, as expected this time of year, were scattered about.


A Greater Yellowlegs was getting in on the action as well, but took a moment to preen.



I half expected to find a Red Phalarope, which is indeed overdue for the area this year.  Still some time for one though!

With the balmy weather, insects were out.  I did see a Common Green Darner at one point.


I was home be fore high noon and relaxed the rest of the day.  The next cold front, whenever that will be, should bring in a new mix of birds.




No comments:

Post a Comment