Saturday, August 15, 2020

Pelicans to Dancers and Things

 Friday I decided I was due for a visit to Point Pelee.  Not much going on there lately, but migrants are trickling through right now, so you never know what may pop up.

As usual, I started with a Tip Watch and pretty much had the place to myself.  There was a good feeding frenzy of gulls and cormorants off the west side.  Soon, a couple of American White Pelicans joined in.  Pelicans are a regular sight off the Tip anymore!





The usual gulls were around plus the Lesser Black-backed.


I walked back the west side trail hoping for some leps and odes.  There was not much once again! Juniper Hairstreaks should be out with the second brood, but they are difficult to find anymore.

Twelve-spotted Skimmer


I then walked De Laurier trail, but nothing new.  Mike Nelson had a Northern Waterthrush ahead of me, but I did not see it.  I had to get back home by the noon hour, so I left.  Encountered some unscheduled rain on the way home!


Today, I headed to north Lambton and into Middlesex County.  First stop was Forest lagoons where the water levels have nicely dropped.  However, nothing new yet again!  Late August into September was decent last year, so hopefully that will continue this year.

I wanted to check out the Ausable River today and stopped at Fossil Road to look for odes. It was  bit early in the day, but I had the idea some Dusky Dancers would be there.  Sure enough I saw quite a few.  In fact it was the most common dancer there.


There may have been other things that I missed, but I decided to move on.


Stream Bluet


female Dusky


American Rubyspot

River was running a bit high though.


As it was not far, I headed up to Joanys Woods for a long walk.  I find the trail along the river is quite nice.  It is a long walk round trip (8 km +) but it can be interesting.  


Some migrant birds were encountered including a Bay-breasted Warbler and a Canada Warbler.  Only record photo here!




I saw a Blue-winged X Golden-winged at one point as well.

I kept an eye out for odes.  I saw several Fawn Darners, but some of which I did not get a decent look.  Oscellated Darner has been recorded here,  which was certainly on my mind. These kept hanging in shaded locations though.


A few Dancers or bluets were around including Violet, Blue-fronted, etc.

Stream Bluet


This ode caught my eye, but it landed high in a tree.  Perhaps a teneral American Ruby-spot? No idea.


It was a nice walk in nice weather, but by the time I got back to the car, I was whipped!

White-banded Tooth Carpet Moth

Other recent critters:

Peck's Skipper (yard)


Juriniopsis adusta



Sweetheart Underwing


Mussel at Reid CA!


Another Checkered for the yard!


Black-throated Green Warbler in the yard


Silver-spotted Skipper at Reid CA



Yard visitor


No comments:

Post a Comment