Sunday, August 9, 2020

County Tours

Saturday I explored several places, going through Chatham-Kent, Elgin, Middlesex and Lambton Counties.  Keith McLean Conservation Lands near Rondeau Park was the first stop.  The day started off right when I found a Marbled Godwit on the mudflat.  We usually do not see many of these in Chatham-Kent, so it was a treat.  It is probably my third self-found Marbled in C-K.


After that I headed east along Talbot Trail.  I walked the Bury Cemetery trail, but it was still a bit early to see any butterflies.

I had the idea of checking out the Dutton prairie off Coyne Road so the was the next stop.  It was a disappointment, as it was quite overgrown and wet.  I could only go so far when I encountered too much water on the trail.

Compass Plant


It was a year ago I was on an organized field trip there which I enjoyed quite a bit.  Will try again sometime later in the day!

While in the general area, I went down to John E. Pearce P.P. to walk the Storey Wetland.  It can be good there for leps and odes.  

Spicebush Swallowtail
Silver-spotted Skipper
Peck's Skipper


About three-quarters of the way around, I caught sight of a Comet Darner!  It kept going out of sight, so that was that.  A pond was nearby, so I had the thought of checking it out.  Sure enough, I saw a Comet Darner patrolling over the pond.  It was bit distant though, so I tried for photos anyway.  Note different species in the photos!




Afterwards, I started heading back west and ended up at Wardsville Woods, another one of my favourite spots. Good for leps here, and sometimes odes.

Great-spangled Frit

Here I encountered two Purple Finches.  Obviously they are on the move right now.  Many have reported them for the first time in southern Ontario this year.


Of course, this is the time of year to look at Cardinal Flower.


A prairie plant demonstration plot is situated on the property.


Next stop was in Skunk's Misery where I walked my favourite trail off Sassafras Road.  This Red-spotted Purple was quite small.



There is a small creek along this trail, and at one point I caught site of an emerald.  Possibly a Mocha, but I did not have long enough views.

Just before going home, I stopped by Florence again.  The river was running higher than it has been all summer (darn rain!).  There was little to see since there was no edge but I did see several species of dancers.  This one was a bit of a mystery, but could be a female Dusky, which I was hoping for.

Dirty Dancer


Today, I had little scheduled and went down to McLean's first thing.  Nothing of note today, but this place has a lot of potential.  I predict a Little Blue Heron in the near future! (Overdue...I found one here August 26, 2000!).

Great Egret


This afternoon, I took a long walk at Reid CA with little else to do.  

Common Ringlet
Dukes' Skipper


Lance-tipped Darner

Last weekend I photographed a butterfly at Wilkesport that looked very different.  I thought it was an odd Viceroy, but it never dawned on me what it really was (sometimes I am blind in one eye and cannot see out the other!).

Turns out it was a hybrid!  Viceroy X Red-spotted Purple to be exact.







No comments:

Post a Comment