Friday, August 21, 2020

Smoky Time of Year

 The summer is waning quickly!  I have been out as much as possible looking for anything of interest.

I come across many of my "friends", the Royal River Cruiser.


 Lately, McLean Conservation Lands near Rondeau Park has been one of the best spots around for shorebirds and other birds.  (I am still pulling for a Little Blue Heron there!).


This current bird of the week is a Red Knot.  Thursday evening I had nothing to do so went down for a quick look at shorebirds.  The Red Knot (more like a Grey Knot!) was very close, as it has been all week.


Seems we get one lingering bird here every year!

Other shorebirds included Short-billed Dowitchers, peeps, plovers and Stilt Sandpipers.




This morning I had a route planned, starting at McLean's.  I had the place to myself first thing.  New for the year was a pair of Baird's Sandpipers.  These less-common creatures prefer drier ground. They were a bit distant for my camera though.


Some of the same birds from yesterday were present.  I did not see the Knot, but I did not walk far enough as it had moved and was closer to the road.  The long-staying Dunlin was still hanging in there!


With passerine migration coming along nicely, I went into Rondeau Park to look around.  I started at Maintenance-pony barn area, but it was terribly quiet.  I then moved down to south point east side.  The trail is finally dry enough to walk without boots!

A few migrants included Blackburnian and Magnolia Warblers, and Tennessee.

I walked back the beach and found hundreds of gulls and terns, but no rarities!  I could not look at every bird though.

The Cylindrical Blazing Star was in bloom in a usual area.


A few Red-breasted Nuthatches were around at almost every stop today.  Two were even in my yard today.

Some butterflies included a late Appalachian Brown.



Next on the agenda was the river at Thamesville bridge.  This time of year we look for Smoky Rubyspots.  There is never a comfortable spot to view these, as the bank is very steep and thick with vegetation.  However, I did find several.




American Rubyspots were also present as expected, plus other dancers.



I kept an eye out for clubtails, namely Elusive.  Quinten had one there the other day.  I did see one clubtail, quite likely an Elusive, but it took off up the slope and out of sight.  It was the ONLY dragonfly I saw there!

The Elusive Clubtail is rarely seen, but I have seen some!  Unexpectantly, I saw some at Brander Park, Port Lambton back on October 14, 2013.  I guess they have a long season!


Next stop was the Tecumseh Monument park east of Thamesville.  I had the notion to check this out this year for Smoky Rubyspot.  There is only one spot to get down to the riverbank, as the rest of the area is almost a vertical drop!

Upon arriving at the riverbank, it did not take long to find Smoky Rubyspot!


American Rubyspot is also here plus Blue-fronted Dancer, and Violet Dancer.  Probably other things as well.


While there, lots of butterflies were in the flowers, and I caught sight of a Compton Tortoiseshell.  I was not able to get a good photo before it took off.  Not often I see these, but this year seems to be a banner year for them in Ontario.


My next stop was Wardsville Woods, which turned out to be rather quiet.  Hardly a bird there and not too many butterflies.

Tawny-edged Skipper


Spiked Blazing Star


For the route home, I went up to Lambton Line, and briefly stopped at Florence.  Not much was going on here, so I left!

Not quite ready to go home, I stopped by Reid CA for a walk.  Again rather quiet, but a Royal River Cruiser perched briefly right at the start.


At home, to cap things off, another Common Checkered-Skipper stopped by the garden late this afternoon.



No comments:

Post a Comment