Tuesday, April 7, 2020

Nature in the Clear (Creek Forest)

Monday dawned as another fine day under cloudless skies.  As I look for places to go that do not have people, I ventured a little farther and ended up in eastern Chatham-Kent.  I took a nature walk in Clear Creek Forest.

Woodpeckers were vocal (five species) as I took in this unique woods.
Several Eastern Phoebes were out and about.



Forest floor plants were popping up including some obvious Skunk Cabbage.

Skunk Cabbage
Early Blue Cohosh, May Apple, Bloodroot and some Leek were noted.

Cohosh


Bloodroot
Leek

There is some impresive scenery in this forest as Clear Creek winds through.


there is even an old "oxbow"







Some very large trees are found here, including Beech.  Unfortunately, a "giant" had fallen a couple of years ago.



I recall this tree from previous years!

summer

winter
There are other large example of several species.
Red oak


Back in 2000, this property was set aside as a nature reserve.  That winter a public tour led by Mathis Natvik was held with many taking part.  I took some photos that day.

Lineup along Cochrane Line


Mathis was instrumental in getting this forest saved as a nature reserve.

Brett checking out a large White Oak


Back to the present.... at the road I encountered some Yellow-rumped Warblers.  These appeared to be winter leftovers due to their appearance.  This Yellow-rumped was one of the worst examples of the species I have ever seen!



Later, around the old quarry pond, I found some more Yellow-rumped which were obviously fresh spring migrants.

On the way home, I stopped by Sinclair's Bush.  It was somewhat quiet, but can be a good spot for migrants in the spring.  It is still open as long as one uses discretion.



I am usually home by noon or earlier and stick around the rest of the day as there is not much else to do.  Traffic is ridiculous in town during the day as people are in a hurry to go nowhere.  It is a mystery where all these people are going!  Hello....most places are closed!



No comments:

Post a Comment