Friday, March 20, 2020

Recent Activities and More Archives

Activities have been largely curtailed due to obvious reasons.  It will be a day by day thing for the next few weeks!

This morning the skies started clearing and I headed out to Mitchell's Bay to walk the south shore trail.  There was a stiff SW breeze at the time, but it was a good walk in balmy weather.  Lots of ducks were on Bay, but one could not see too far due to fog.
A large number of Lesser Scaup was in close.

Water levels are still very high and actually are rising, unfortunately.


Fog at Ticky Tacky Point


I then moved on to St. Clair NWA.  Nobody was around there either.  Viewing was good from the tower and I managed to spot a male Eurasian Wigeon gleaming in the sun!  I did not have the big camera along and it was too distant anyway to get on a photo.



It is probably the first one I have had at this location.
One was seen at Erieau a while back on a single occasion earlier this month, but has not been relocated since.

Photo of one from the past at Rondeau


Today, I came across an interesting old news clipping.  Not much to do with nature, but it involved a former provincial park north of Sombra!
I have mentioned before that Cathcart Park (originally known as Clay Creek Park) was previously under provincial designation and that my father worked there one summer.
Well, this clipping showed a photo of my father working the gate!



The year was 1958 when this became a provincial park.  The article mentions it is the fourth in the county; others being Rock Glen, Ipperwash and Pinery which was just being developed.

Note cost of entry permit!!
The park is still popular and a good birdwatching spot especially in winter.

Clay Creek



No comments:

Post a Comment