Sunday, March 15, 2020

Rondeau Rambles, Pi and Elgin Birding

We had some fine weather this weekend, except Saturday when it was cloudy (not in the forecast) from late morning and all afternoon.  Not too much to report as some migrants are trickling in.  Lots of waterfowl to sort through though here and there.

Friday, I ventured down to Rondeau Park on a stiff west wind.  There was an obvious influx of Song Sparrows, blackbirds and American Robins as one would expect at this time.
I started at south point trail where waterproof footwear is recommended.  I made it through with hiking shoes though, but if we get any amount of rain, the trail will be flooded again this spring.

I walked back the dune area along the east beach.  An Eastern Meadowlark was one highlight there.
Just as I finished up the walk, I spotted an Eastern Phoebe at the last cottage.  It did not co-operate for the camera.



The wind was quite strong out of the west, so the east side was a good option.  The Bay was too rough to look at ducks.  The campground was a bit quiet once again.

Later in the day while at home I happened to look out my window and noticed an early Tree Swallow flipping by.  Some had been reported down in Essex County for the first time this year on this day, so it is that time of year again!

Saturday I got up a bit earlier and headed back to Rondeau Park on a nice clear morning.



It was Pi Day, something I had never heard about.  I am familiar with Pi (3.14....) from my math studies back in the 'old' days, but I did not know there was a day to celebrate Pi.

I wanted to listen for American Woodcocks for the first time this year.  I came up with six peents in short order (saw one).
Waiting for some more light, I checked out the lake opposite the VC.  A nice sunrise was developing.





I walked spicebush trail after the sun came up.  The day previous, a Louisiana Waterthrush had been reported on the trail.  That is an incredibly early date, and they have not even been in Ohio yet to my knowledge.  We have seen them at the end of March though, so it is not far off.
No dice on that bird for anyone else who looked.  A strange occurrence indeed.

I then met up with SRC and we went down to Tulip Tree trail and then south point.  Nothing really of note on that walk, except we did find an early Eastern Phoebe scouting territory on TTT.



Later, I walked the campground before leaving the park, which, as you might have guessed, was rather quiet.  An unco-operative Eastern Towhee was one of the better birds.



After stocking up on groceries in Blenheim I headed home.  While in the store, I received word that Dwayne Murphy wanted to make an attempt for the Purple Sandpiper out south beach.  I guided him along via cell phone photos he sent periodically since he had never been out there.  Dwayne actually found the bird, which I am sure was quite a relief.  See his blog for details.



Sunday, I had an urge to go into Elgin County for a change.  On Saturday, a Black Vulture was reported at Port Stanley, so that was a good target to shoot for.  Been a while since I have seen one.

It was a crisp clear morning, perfect for birding.  My first stop was the lagoons which were well-stocked with ducks.  A good variety and number kept me interested.  I have seen some good birds there over the years, including a pair of Whooper Swans (not that they can be counted!).

After finishing there, I headed took the short drive down to the Port Stanley waterfront.  I immediately saw some Turkey Vultures, but no black one.  I headed back up Carlow Street and saw a suspicious shape in the sky.  The Black Vulture was soaring!  It only took less than ten minutes for me to see the bird after arrival.
I was in an awkward spot and angle, so did not get good photos.  But, at least I saw the bird.




Elgin County is a good birding district, but this was far enough for today.  I headed back and first stopped at Southwold Earthworks, as I usually do.  Not much in the way of birds today, but I always like to stop here as it brings back memories of one day when I was younger (my dad and I stopped here once out of curiosity).



I had things to do in the afternoon, so I basically headed back home.  I did stop for a walk at Wardsville Woods (a TTLT property), and drove through part of Skunk's Misery.  I met up with Don Pye (not Pi)  in the Misery, and he said that the Golden Eagle was still hanging around.  I did not see it of course, as usual, nothing new.

On to another week.....



No comments:

Post a Comment