Friday, July 26, 2019

Shorebirds to Insects

This morning I ventured up to Forest Sewage Lagoons, a birder-friendly facility.  Once again, this place is shaping up to be the best spot for shorebirds. Habitat is excellent.



I did not see any rarities, but it takes a good hour to sort through everything.



There were lots of Lesser Yellowlegs, Least Sandpipers, etc. and a FOY Stilt Sandpiper.  Something decent will be there soon!



Common Gallinules nested there this year and proud parents with two young were feeding on the far side of the one cell.  Too distant for good photos though.



This was my target spot for the day, and it was a toss-up where to go to next.  I decided to check Ausable River Cut CA south of Pinery next.  I enjoyed the walk as it was very good for butterflies.
Several Wild Indigo Duskywings were on the wing.





I was delighted to come across my FOY Coral Hairstreak along the river bank.



Delaware Skippers and Northern Broken-Dash were plentiful as well.




Down the road, I stopped by Karner Blue Sanctuary.  Strangely, I did not see a single duskywing here!  Usually this is one of the better spots for them.
I did come across a couple more Coral Hairstreaks.



Some Great-spangled Fritillaries were flying about, never landing.  They have been scarce this year like many other species.

There was not much in the way of odes this day.  This darner perched briefly.  Not sure what it is yet as I have not looked closely.



Rough Blazing Star is coming along.  Soon, Leonard's Skippers will be taking advantage of it here.



During this moth week, I have kept an eye out for moths.  This attractive Neighbour was at Karner Blue.



A plume moth, likely Morning Glory was on the back door this week.


Yesterday, I came across another 'dead' Ceropia moth.



I decided to bypass other spots in the area, as I am tired of mosquitoes!

On the way home, I stopped by Moore WMA.  One can finally cross the creek!  I looked for Mocha Emeralds in a known spot, but came up short.

A couple of American Snouts were at the river crossing.  There are lots of Hackberry trees at Moore which is their larval foodplant.



A couple of Banded Hairstreaks were spotted. One landed on my car as I was leaving....



Some flowers in the garden are starting to wilt, a sign that summer is moving along.  Black-eyed Susan and Purple Coneflower continues to flourish in the backyard.  This year, one coneflower was white!


The odd European Skipper is still around.



No comments:

Post a Comment