Saturday, July 20, 2019

More Running Around!

Friday I decided to go to Point Pelee.  As usual, I started at the Tip, but did not get there as early as in the past.  This time of year there are too many "tourists" that HAVE to go to the very Tip, oblivious of the birds they are scaring off. Luckily, I did have some time to myself at first.



A few Sanderlings were working the Tip, and eventually a Lesser Yellowlegs landed.  Eight more Lessers flew by towards Pelee Island.





I walked back west beach trail in hopes of seeing some insects.  Once again, very few.  One can only savour the memories of the "good ole days"!
I did see my FOY American Snout.


Wandering Glider


I decided to check out the marsh boardwalk before leaving. Black Terns had a good nesting year, as I counted over 60 birds.




Next stop was Hillman Marsh.  I walked around the shorebird cell looking for butterflies, which of course were scarce.  Checking one familiar spot, I came across about ten Broad-winged Skippers, which were FOY.




Some Common Painted-Lady were along the way.



I shuffled over to Blenheim Lagoons on the way home, but nothing of note was there.


Today, it was a toss-up, but I ended up in Elgin County.  I went as far as Port Stanley Lagoons.  Water is very high, so few shorebirds. Only two Lesser Yellowlegs and a Wilson's Snipe were seen besides Killdeer and Spotted Sandpiper.  Wood Ducks were there by the dozens.

Heading back, I stopped by Southwold Earthworks, which I always check out while in the area.  A number of years ago I had all kinds of butterflies there, but it has been downhill ever since!  (Probably the big year of 2012).
Today was overcast and damp, so practically nothing.  I did find a Common Sootywing though.



Farther west, I checked out Joe's Bush on Silver Clay Line. 



Besides too many mosquitoes some notable birds included Pine Warblers and a Hooded Warbler.  The Hooded was a bit of a surprise.

Joe's Truck


My main goal today was to stop by the old quarry at Clear Creek Nature Reserve and look for Comet Darner. 



Last year, I discovered them there, so I knew they had to be out.  Sure enough upon arrival, I saw one.  I could only attempt flight shots, but made out fairly well.

Two in upper left


Eventually I saw two.  Comet Darners are rare but annual in various places in southern Ontario.  The bright red abdomen sticks out!


Comet and Calico


There were lots of dragonflies to look at here.  Calico Pennants are very common.


Skimmer with Twelve Spots
Blue Dasher



This afternoon I did a quick check of Reid and McKeough CA's.  Due to the heat I did not linger long.  I did see a couple of Dukes' Skippers at Reid and several Banded Hairstreaks.



A couple of Royal River Cruisers were patrolling as well.

At McKeough I was targeting Flag-tailed Spinyleg.  With the high water, there is no edge to the river this year where they like to perch.  I kept a keen eye as I walked along, but at the very end, I finally came across one!



Pronghorn Clubtails are regular here, but I have not yet seen one here this year.
By this time, the heat had done me in, so I went home!

By the way, National Moth Week is upon us.  I usually see only common stuff  in my travels.  Here are some from today.

Large Lace Border

Celery Looper


Spring Dead Leaf Roller

The above creature is very tiny.  It was on the back door today!





No comments:

Post a Comment