Monday, July 29, 2019

A Few Weekend Scenes

Nothing eventful to report on the weekend as the summer wanes.  Saturday I decided I wanted to check out Komoka Pond on the west side of London.  I had never been there before, but lately the habitat is excellent for shorebirds.
A scope is necessary here as one is rather distant from the mudflats.  A few shorebirds were in, including a Short-billed Dowitcher as the best bird.  A couple of London birders were there checking out the shorebirds as well.
That was as far east as I went!  On the way back I stopped by Wardsville Woods to look for butterflies.  Once again, there were rather few!



Cardinal Flower

A couple of Great Spangled Fritillaries were at the back.


Black Swallowtail


Birds included a large flock of Baltimore Orioles. Over 20 were present.




I also stopped by Blenheim lagoons which was a disappointment.  There is little habitat for shorebirds and there was not much in the way of variety.  I think I will be going to Forest more than Blenheim this year!



Sunday I stayed rather local.  I went out to Mitchell's Bay and walked the south shore trail, then went over to St. Clair NWA.  There was nothing of note, but one never knows.  Finding decent or rare birds is just sheer luck! (some have more luck than others!)
I saw one Sora along the trail.  For some reason the camera did not focus.



In the afternoon, I went for a walk at Reid CA.  I went way back in the woods for a longer walk.  There was quite a bit of water in certain areas, so I did not do the full route.



Along the trail, a few hairstreaks were lingering.  I saw a few Banded, and one Edward's, and one Hickory, all very worn...a sign that summer is quickly moving along.

Banded

Hickory

Edwards'
I did find one Dukes' Skipper in the traditional spot.



The garage light was left on overnight on the weekend, and attracted some moths.  Most common seemed to be Lesser Maple Spanworm.




There were a few attractive Painted Lichen Moths.



Several other brown jobs were there as well.

Looper


No comments:

Post a Comment