Sunday, May 19, 2019

Pelee Visit to Skulkers and Flycatchers

Saturday, I decided to do some birding at Point Pelee.  It started raining as soon as I arrived.  Not surprising to me since it was a Saturday.  That put a damper on things for some time.  We were not supposed to get much rain, but as usual, the weather forecast was wrong again.

Starting off at the VC, a Chipping Sparrow was singing just like a Clay-colored Sparrow!  This is not the first time I have seen this.  One summer, there was a Chipping Sparrow doing the same thing at Rondeau Park.

I did not see much for over two hours because of the rain.  I eventually got to the Tip which is impressive despite the high water this spring.



Eventually it started to clear up for a nice sunny day.  I walked slowly through Tilden's Woods with Mike Nelson and Rick Mayos.  A number of birds kept up our interest, including a Prothonotary Warbler and a couple of Canada Warblers.  Many Prothonotary Warblers seem to be around this wet spring.
It was not a day for photography though as I only took one photo!

After lunch I headed up to Pioneer and northward along west beach trail.  Quite a few birds were around including tanagers. One cannot get enough of these!

I did come across one of the Summer type a bit later.

I got word of a Worm-eating Warbler near Dunes, but after some time looking I gave up.  I went elsewhere and came back about an hour later and found out that many had seen it again!  I never did catch up with it, as I only have so much patience.  Missed it by ten minutes...twice!  It continued to put on a show after I left.

My next stop was Hillman marsh shorebird cell.  Sedge Wrens have been in the field the last couple of weeks and perhaps they may nest there.  I heard a couple of them on the way to the shorebird cell.



A number of shorebirds were present, including a single Whimbrel.   I spent some time there, but a Peregrine Falcon came by to clear the cell of birds!  Some did come back later though.

Today, Sunday, I went to Rondeau.  It was a nice day for a change and became rather warm.  Keith and I walked south point trail seeing lots of birds.  Many birds were moving along the lake heading west, so a few went unidentified.  Perhaps some Blue Grosbeaks, Western Tanagers and Dickcissels were among them.  Cedar Waxwings were among those, with over 100 seen.

It was evident that more flycatchers had come in.  Eastern Wood Peewees were among those.  I tallied around 25 for the day.


Yellow-bellied Flycatcher was tallied as  FOY also.

Vireos had come in numbers as well.  Many seemed to be moving along the south point shore.

While on south point we got word of a Le Conte's Sparrow up by the light beacon.  We headed that way, and eventually Keith found the bird again.  It was just pure luck since true to its nature, this species hides well in grasses!  I only got a brief glimpse, but it was good to know the bird was around since I had it on my mind this morning.  I have seen or found a few of these over the years.  One I found along Harrison Trail, put on a good show for birders a number of years ago.



Birds were all over the park, but not in big numbers.  A Kentucky Warbler was found on the west side of south point, but we could not catch up with it.  As well, a Worm-eating Warbler was heard well along Harrison, but never seen.  With most birds of this nature, it is simply being the right place at the right time or plain dumb luck.

A walk to the group campground was somewhat productive.  We talked about Olive-sided Flycatcher along the way. Upon arrival in the campground, "Quick, three-beers" was heard!



Several Spring Tanagers were seen during the day, but no Summer.




Acadian Flycatchers have not yet come in it seems. I looked for them.

I also look for Showy Orchis on the holiday weekend.  I happened to stumble upon a nice plant at one point!



Later, I walked down Harrison past pony barn, then turned around.  Along the way, a bird popped up beside the trail....it was a Connecticut Warbler!  It posed nicely before moving farther in.



On my last walk, a Prothonotary Warbler was singing in the first slough at TTT.  It was there the other day as well.


One day left for this long weekend....  What next?

No comments:

Post a Comment