Friday, May 17, 2019

More May Meanderings

There has been a good variety of birds the last few days. Still, there must be lots to come as not many flycatchers have appeared and certainly more vireos should be around.
I have had a couple of decent days at Brander Park, Port Lambton before and after work.  Wednesday and Thursday were good for a number of warblers and other birds.




The Snowy Owl west of Wallaceburg continues to attract attention as it perches beside the road.



Thursday, Keith McLean Conservation Lands made headlines again, as a pair of Black-necked Stilts stole the show.  They were found in the morning and being a weekday, as usual, I was not sure I would get to see them.  The last two at Blenheim lagoons were there only the one day, so I had a feeling these two would not stay either. 
I made it down that way after work and could not find them on my first try.  It was only an hour earlier they had been seen close to C-K Rd. 15!  I took off and drove through the park for a while, then came back for another try.  Finally, I could see the two birds far in the distance.  They could be picked out by bins, but a scope was more helpful.  At least I got to see them!  They were not seen today....


While I was there, three Willets flew in for a brief visit.



I took today off to make for a four day weekend, and went down to Rondeau Park.  As usual, the nice weather of the last couple of days was nowhere to be seen and it was cool and cloudy.  Too close to the weekend obviously.
I started off with a singing Cerulean Warbler on Water Street.  It was not very light yet but I tried a photo anyway, lol.



There were much song along Rondeau Road, but I wanted to check out south point trail.  Along the way, it was evident that Tennesee Warblers had arrived in numbers.


 
The water levels had not dropped significantly, but I sloshed through.  There was a good variety of warblers and other birds, but not in numbers. 
An Alder Flycatcher was new for the year, not worth taking a photo.

I checked almost every popular birding location in the park today except the campground, which was devoid of campers.  For the second year in a row, no campers on the holiday weekend!  Birders had the park to themelves.
There were birds at each location, but in low numbers.

At least one Dark-eyed Junco has been hanging around the visitor centre.



Tennessee Warblers were everywhere, and I ended up with close to 50 during the day.



I even walked Black Oak trail which actually had a good number of birds.
A tardy Yellow-bellied Sapsucker was making some rounds.


A nice male Hooded Warbler was about a half kilometre south of the VC along Harrison.



In the picnic area at the north end, an Olive-sided Flycatcher put on a show.  It was the first one I had seen this year, but it was silent.  It is one of my favourite to hear.


Just after I arrived at home this afternoon, there was a flurry of activity of passing warblers in the yard.  At least six species, one of which was a Tennesee.


More birds on the way.....

1 comment: