Thursday, October 19, 2017

Searching For Birds



With the days getting too short, I spent a little time before and after work looking for birds.  I often stop at Peers Wetland after work. 
A couple of days ago, I specifically had Nelson's Sparrow on my mind.  There is ample suitable habitat to harbour a Nelson's Sparrow. at Peers, and the last couple of years I had always hoped to find one there.  Near the end of my walk, one popped up out of the cattails!  I had to laugh at the time since it was my target bird.  Unfortunately, I did not have a camera, which is often the case at Peers.
It seems that Nelson's Sparrows have been well-reported this fall.  Perhaps birders have been more adept at finding them, but these skulky sparrows are often difficult to find.  Many go through, but they hide well.
Last December, a few days before New Year's, I found one at St. Clair NWA.  That was more unique given the lateness. 



This evening, I went out to Mitchell's Bay and walked the south shore  trail. This time of year, there are passerines along the trail, but geese are in high numbers coming off the lake. 



This evening there were perhaps 1500 geese in several flocks.  Early on, I spotted one Snow Goose, which was the only different one of the lot!


At sunset, many flocks were coming in off the lake.



It was a year ago that many Greater White-fronted Geese were reported around SW Ontario.  Mitchell's Bay was no exception.  But, nothing other than the Snow Goose today.



Along the trail were many White-throated Sparrows and kinglets.  Besides Yellow-rumped Warblers, was a single male Black-throated Blue.
Other birds included a Yellow-bellied Sapsucker, some Hermit Thrushes and an Eastern Phoebe.

This coming weekend looks rather warm for the time of year, so we will see what transpires!


No comments:

Post a Comment