Saturday, August 5, 2017

Shorebirds to Rubyspots

Today, August 5, I checked out some familiar spots during a several hour trek.  First stop was Blenheim Lagoons.  It seems to be peak shorebird time, and I was not disappointed.  Somewhere in the neighbourhood of 300 shorebirds were present!
Most numerous were Semipalmated Sandpipers.



The middle pond has some very good edge where many of these shorebirds were feeding.





I found at least  a dozen species, but perhaps others were present as I found it a bit overwhelming to sort through all of them.






Highlight was a Red-necked Phalarope, first reported a couple of days ago.



Strangely, it was the first phalarope of the year, as Wilson's were scarce this year and I had not yet seen one.



There was no Baird's or Stilt Sandpiper that I could find, but I did see at least one White-rumped.  I had a good look at it, but it flushed as soon as I raised the camera!

I think there is potential for a good shorebird to show up soon!

I headed east and briefly stopped at Ridgetown Lagoons where nothing of note was seen.
Moving eastward, I decided to stop by the old quarry at Clear Creek nature reserve.  It is a good spot for some dragonflies, including Calico Pennant.



Heading northeast, I next stopped at Wardsville Woods.  It seemed a bit quiet today.



A few butterflies were seen including a Wild Indigo Duskywing in the same spot as a couple of weeks ago.



Some Common Ringlets were flying.



I found some Cardinal flower around the ponds, which is nice to see.



Skunk's Misery is nearby, so that was my next stop.  I found a couple of Hooded Warblers along
Centreville Drive, and one female showed nicely.



One of the better trails to walk is off Sassafras Road.  Here I found many butterflies and birds.  Highlight was a White-eyed Vireo, constantly singing.  I could not get it to come out for a photo, but this Warbling showed instead.



A scruffy Chestnut-sided Warbler also made an appearance at the same location.




Two Blue-winged Warblers were also flitting about, while a male Hooded Warbler was chipping the background.



I did find this nice Great-spangled Fritillary.



Last stop was at the old bridge at Thamesville.  American Rubyspots were numerous along the treacherous riverbank.




It is a tad early for the rarer Smokey Rubyspot, but it will show soon.
While there, a Tawny Emperor blew in, but I was not in a good spot for getting a decent photo.


It was an interesting tour in nice weather.  I think Blenheim deserves another visit.....

2 comments:

  1. I should (hopefully) get that way soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The shorebirds at Blenheim are a nice treat compared to what it was like in the spring. Hopefully conditions will remain good for the next few weeks or longer.

    Nice to get the rubyspot. That bank at Thamesville is really quite challenging to navigate!

    ReplyDelete