Monday, November 14, 2016

Sandhill Sights

This morning before work, I stopped by Stewart Wetland in hopes of getting a glimpse of the large flock of Sandhill Cranes that daily comes over from Michigan to feed in the fields west of Wallaceburg.  I was not disappointed!

The wetland is the best vantage point to see the flock.  Usually you hear them well before you see them, and today was no exception!  As soon as I got out of the car shortly after 7 a.m., five were flying over.  Was that it?
I waited.

From what I heard shortly afterwards, I knew there was a massive flock, and soon I saw them over Walpole Island.




It seemed impossible to count them accurately, but there were certainly over 90.





This is the largest flock I have seen in the area to date.

For whatever reason, this is a daily occurrence and annual event this time of year.

In my early years of birding, this was a nemesis bird, but now they are a dime a dozen!

No comments:

Post a Comment